38 special +P loading.

Danb6177

I’m looking for powder advice for loading 38 special plus P. I will be using berrys 148 gr WCs. I have a small list from online specs but most are of course not available. One that I’ve found available is Acc no 5. Has anyone had good experience with this powder? I’ve used acc no 9 on 357s and had good results. Or is there another more common powder for plus P ?
I’ve also used W231 for regular 38 specials. But no data there for plus P loads at 148 weight bullets
Thanks!

Go to the Hodgdon reloading data center at "hodgdonreloading.com/rldc". Then filter by cartridge, powder company and bullet weight. The web site has data for 38 special +P, using Accurate #5, with a Berry's 148 grain DEWC.

Go to the Hodgdon reloading data center at "hodgdonreloading.com/rldc". Then filter by cartridge, powder company and bullet weight. The web site has data for 38 special +P, using Accurate #5, with a Berry's 148 grain DEWC.
yessir thats where i was at when i found the small list of powders. Was just curious if anyone was experienced in loading them with those. The local guy near me has the Acc 5. I see true blue there also but cannot find that one. I could just grab the acc 5 i suppose

@Danb6177: Sorry, I let you down. During the past two years I have switched to a lot of Accurate brand smokeless powders, simply because they were available. I haven't bought or used any Accurate 5. but it looks like a possible substitute for Unique, but a little slower than Unique. All I can say is that I've been happy with Accurate powders and won't go back. It may be difficult to find a lot of data for a 38 Special +P, 148 grain wadcutter because that bullet is usually paired with lower velocity target loads.

Accurate #5 , in my experience , is just a tad slower burning powder than Unique .
So that makes it a good fit for 38 Special +P , and mid-range 357 magnum .
Even does well with mid-range 41 magnum ( what I call 41 Special loads) .

Western Powders Reloading Guide 6.0 edition shows the following :
38 Special +P
Berry's 148 grain plated DEWC
Start Load - 4.5 grs. AA #5 @ 717 fps
Maximum Load - 5.0 grs AA #5 @ 843 fps .

I am sure AA #5 data is availible on line ... I believe the 7.0 edition of the Reloading Guide is availible ,,, Lots of load data with many bullets .

I worked up a 357 magnum load with 6.0 grs of AA #5 and a 158 gr. cast SWC ...
I liked it ... accurate and clean burning and meters well . Might be a good stand in for Unique ... liked it so much ...
I went back to dealer and bought AA #2 ... hope it can be used in place of Bullseye !
Gary

I've had excellent results with AA#5 propellant. Typically, it is used for "range quality" semi-auto ammo - 9mm, 40 cal, that sorta thing. But I used it mostly for low power/recoil 10mm Auto (180 grainers).

In 38 Special, I used it for +P with 125 JHP's. I consider AA#5 to be on the fast end of the "intermediate burn rate" powder spectrum, if that makes sense. It's faster than say - Unique, BE-86, Power Pistol, HS-6 - the intermediates I've used. But being an intermediate none-the-less, I still reserved it for +P applications in 38 Special.

Are your Berry's "148 WC's" the hollow base or double-ended variety? Because everything I write beyond this point applies to the double-ended variety. And the two are not interchangeable. In fact, I do not recommend using the hollow base variety for any +P application - it's strictly a low power target bullet.

I had to dig deep into my records, and I did find that I once used AA#5 with 148 Plated DEWC's. I use(d) a Rainier PDEWC, and it is very similar to the Berry's DEWC (not the hollow base). In my loading, I used 4.8 grains of AA#5 and through a 4" bbl Smith 686, it yielded a lumbering 723 f/s. My notes state: "Supposed to be a near-+P practice round. Nowhere close. Try 5.2g next time." That was March of 2014. It appears there was no "next time." ;) Given the velocity, I think it's safe to say that it was just my starting point for this load workup. A workup I never continued.

I shoot a lot of paper with my Smith M67 38 (a gun I bought right after the above-mentioned chronographing). And these days, I load my Rainier 148's from pure target level performance, to near +P (mostly for support-hand-only practice). But I use W231 - 4.6 grains to be exact.

Also of note: I do not seat my DEWC's flush. I seat them to an OAL of 1.210" - which is some 60-thousandths above the case mouth. They speedload easier that way. I also taper crimp - I don't roll crimp.

So that's all I have. Hope it's of some help.

Back