38 Special +P Carry Ammo: Where Did All Of It Go?

Mr.RevolverGuy

Thumnail-e1639354286620.jpg

Chronograph and Gel Test Results. Where is all of the 38 Special +P ammo. This pandemic is making me change carry ammunition in the middle of winter at that. I like to stay with one ammunition but often fire my carry ammo between 4 to 6 months of carry and reload with fresh. This practice now has me in a predicament, where I am now having to change due to the great ammo shortage of the "PANDEMIC"

20210828_174757-scaled-e1639354418466.jpg

Which of these would you carry? What's King in Self Defense Penetration or Expansion?
https://youtu.be/9AGAre3L_aY

I am not just in a sarcastic mood. Apologies.

I was, however, serious about .38/.357 production going to 9mm production.

Where I am, 38 special is getting hard to find.
My LGS has plenty of 9mm, and a good supply of 357, but 38 doesn't come in very often and sells out quick.
My advice, carry what you have the most of, and don't change out carry ammo as often.
Personally I use Gold Dots.

Gold Dot and HST tend to be the rounds I go to first. I don’t think you’d go wrong with either if you can find them.

But caliber diversification is not really a horrible suggestion either.

It doesn't sour, spoil, or go bad if properly stored and treated. You can practice with anything that approximately duplicates your point of aim and recoil level. paper targets don't care about premium bullets.

In a previous age it was just a waste of your money to "waste" high end SD ammo on targets. In today's times, it seems even more foolish because timely resupply is no longer the "given" it once was.

I assume you're not a reloader, but if you were, I'd advise doing your practice with reloads, with cheaper bullets as an alternative. I realize that components are also catch as catch can today. but if you can get some, you don't need to use the premium factory stuff up.

Until things change and production catches up with market demand, I don't see anything else you can do, other than shoot less so the ammo you can get lasts longer.

You're in a predicament because you can't do what you like to do and what you used to do. We're all in that place in so many ways I think that's why they call it a panicdemic! :rolleyes:

44AMP

I totally agree it is less about me testing or making sure the ammo works it is more about testing myself with the ammo. It is the reason I purchased a shot timer as well, I wanted to make sure I could perform with such ammo. I usually load my range 38 special to target velocities maybe that's what needs to change now. :)

I have seen replies from manufactures other folks have made talking about production capacity trying to catch up with the most popular calibers 9mm specifically. Revolver calibers are second tier at this point.

Sucks, as somebody who shoots everything and I enjoy my revolvers and haven’t been able to shoot them for some time.

I have seen replies from manufactures other folks have made talking about production capacity trying to catch up with the most popular calibers 9mm specifically. Revolver calibers are second tier at this point.

Please provide links to these sources.

Sounded like my dad. When he passed I got 12,000 rounds of 38's. Many were loaded with his Elmer Keith load.

One thing the OP might consider is just not shooting it up that quickly. It won’t degrade tht quickly. Practice ammo is easier to find, and a good bit cheaper.

Of those shown maybe the HST but you're better off with a hollow point mould, pure lead and a powder coat.

I can shoot these all day for cheap and they are reliable good expanders and penetrators. Modified Lee mould. Shot through a 2" Kimber K6S.
SBUkYWE.jpg

eu6juGz.jpg

UTPT1zH.jpg

Back