.38 Special loads......Whats popular?

glockjeeper

I just recently acquired a '50s vintage Colt Detective Special. This is my first revolver in a loooong time. I've mostly been shooting autos the past few years so my revolver knowledge has fallen off. I used to have a Colt Agent years ago btw. I therefore haven't been keeping up on whats popular for the .38 Special as far as stopping power lately. I know that the 158gr. lead semi wadcutter hollowpoint used to be king. But what is these days? Is it still up there among the best? If not, what is then?

Also, since this Dick Special is about 50 years old, should I be easy on it and feed it some lighter loads? I haven't got to shoot it yet. I believe I'm going to send it into Cylinder & Slide and have one of their Colt Carry Packages done on it. What do ya guys think?

I am no Colt revolver expert, but I would check with someone who is one, before modifying your 1950's era Detective Special.

I have heard that .38 spl. +P ammo is not recommended in these older snubbies, so I would stick with standard pressure ammo.

My favorite .38 special target and plinking loads are the 148 grain wadcutter and the 158 grain round nose lead.

-Mk.IV

I wouldn't use the +P in an older 'Dick' Special. The later guns were OK'd for up to 3000 rounds of +P before an in-factory inspection, and possible frame replacement.
I'm not sure I'd alter an older DS as these are starting to aquire at least some collector value.
If you want to shoot it, the best choices seem to be the 158gr lead hollow point, and the 125gr jacketed hollow point.

Collector value.........

I hear what you guys are saying about this Dick Special concerning modifying it. But I believe its already been worked over somewhat. First off, the hammer has been bobbed. But it is still single action capable. The grip profile has been modified also. The back of the grip toward the bottom has been rounded off, giving it the look of a bird's head grip similar to older Colt Thunderers and Lightnings. Its at least a pretty good job. The grips are contoured to it perfectly and there is no sign of tool markings. It also shows some pretty honest wear, around the barrel, cylinder and backstrap from carrying and use. The action is tight and the bore is bright. (Hey, that ryhmes!:)). The cylinder latch spring(?) is worn because it doesn't take much to move it to release the cylinder. Other than that its pretty dang good mechanically.

Forgot to mention that the grip job looks like its factory it looks so good. Wish I could find out who did it........it would be nice to find out it was the Colt Custom Shop.

save your money..it's already a carry package....and if you can't shoot hot loads through it, why pay all that money to modify it..better to keep find a newer one for that and keep this the way it is.....

I'd go ahead and carry the 158 LSWCHP in +P. Practice with a few of them, to make sure there are no unpleasant surprises, and then use them only for self-defense. If you absolutely insist on practicing with the duty load, I'd go with Federal Nyclad 125gr HP's.

From the old grump who likes 38 Special ....

See if you can find some of the Federal or WW 158 SWCHP normal pressure loading. It's the same level as normal 158 disservice rounds.

Second (And don't tell anyone): The 148 factory wadcutter is an extremely effective defensive load. It has fair penetration (which means it doesn't overpenetrate) and strikes a solid blow when it hits.
But the "experts" don't think much of anything that doesn't have a jacket or +P designation.

Back