.38 special load and VV N110 ???

GUY1

Inactive
Hello to everybody.
I've just joined this forum.
I'm an enthusiast in WW2 US Military weapons.
I'm going to reload some 38 special rounds for my Colt Commando.
I'll use 158 grains bullets both FMJ and RNBB lead.
As I already own Vihtavuori N110 powder I use for M1 carbine in conjuction with 110 grains FMJ bullets, it's the faster Vihtavuori rifle powder I read it can be used in big bore handguns with heavy bullets, can it be succesfully and above all SAFELY used for 38 special loads?
If positive can somebody indicate any load?
Are small pistol primers O.K. for this powder used in an handgun or small rifle primers should be preferred?
Any suggestion is welcome.
Thank you.
GUY1

Welcome to the forum.

Actually N105 is the fastest VV rifle powder, and N310 is their fastest pistol powder. N105 is a more recent development than N110 and does not appear in my 1995 VV manual.

QuickLOAD thinks you could work up to 8.5 grains of N105 with a 158 grain round nose seated to 1.550", without drifting into +P territory and it would be a reasonable load in a carbine length barrel, but would present a lot of muzzle blast and fire out of a 6 inch barrel and not burn very completely inside the barrel. N110 is much worse, so lots of flame and wasted powder and likely very erratic burning. I wouldn't even try it. Even the N105 is just a computer estimate, so I would start at more like 7 grains and work up, watching for pressure signs. I don't think you'll be favorably impressed with the results.

Rifle powders don't burn well at lower pressures. The .38 Special's maximum pressure of 17,000 psi, as compared to your .30 Carbine's maximum pressure of 40,000 psi, is just too low to burn N110 powder efficiently. I also find that when you run powders at pressures too low for efficient burning, the muzzle velocity is very inconsistent. Magnum primers can help with that, but it still doesn't do great.

The old Vihtavuori manual shows just one .38 Special load for N110, and that is with a 180 grain bullet, which gives some extra burn time and tightens up the burning volume under the bullet by seating as deeply as it does. That load has a starting charge of 7.5 grains and a maximum of 8.3 grains. It only produces about 850 fps, and that's with a Lapua bullet that no longer appears to be made.

Last edited:
N110 is great for full power loads in .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, and .22 Hornet. I don't think you'll like it at all in standard or +P loads in the .38 Special... there's just not enough pressure to get it to burn correctly or completely. Also, VihtaVuori doesn't list N110 in their load guide for the .38 Special.

If you like the VihtaVuori powders (as I do), then I suggest you try something along the lines of N320, N340, N350, or 3N37 in the .38 Special. These are listed in the VihtaVuori data, with 3N37 usually giving the most velocity. I think you'll be much happier with the results.

You can download a copy of their load guide here:

http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/user_upload/esitteet/VihtavuoriInternationalReloguide2009.pdf

A shooter here used to load .357 Magnum with N110 for a thrill, it gives a loud report and a bright muzzle flash on an indoor range.

I think it really too slow for .38 Special and trying to load with it just because you have some for the carbine is carrying inventory rationalization too far.

One of the 3xx series powders would do better, if you particularly wanted to use Vihtavuori powder. But Bullseye, 231, and a whole host of other common pistol powders will do the job at lower cost.

LCR SD Loads (38 Special)

Unclenick,
It is off topic. I will start a new thread.
Thanks,
Blue

Last edited:
Blue,

Your question looks off-topic (OT) for the thread. I don't know if you put it here by mistake? I think you will get a lot more response if you start a new thread with your title. The folks who've already looked at this one won't likely know a new topic is here and will ignore it, where they may give you some good information on a new thread. Also, when you hijack a thread it is harder for people with the same question to find it with the search functions, so you'd be doing them a favor, too.

Sorry about that. It appeared he was asking for assisting choosing a powder for the LCR SD. Short barrel loads. Not like the Colt Comando in the OP. Those came in 4",5", and 6", IIRC? If I agot it wrong, apologies to Blue.

Last edited:
I have loaded .38spl 160gr swc with N110 10gr and 11gr. I also load the same of 2400. I got similar results with both. These loads are more 38/44 than .38+P and should be used only in modern guns in good shape but it can be done. Should it? I don't know.......

Back