.38 special Hydra Shok 129gr vs. FBI Loads 158 gr

Doug.38PR

Which is a better round for winter carry the Hydrashok or FBI load. I'm told that hollowpoints have been known to be unable to get through thick wet coats in the wintertime. Hydrashoks are designed to over come this...so I'm told.
Is the coat problem true of all hollowpoints or does it vary or what.
Opinions?

Generally, heavier bullets give better penetration, all things being equal. However all things (velocity) aren't. The FBI loads are hot, though, and I would think, would give somewhat better penetration than the Hydra-Shoks.

Any HP design is subject to being plugged with clothing, although the newer premium designs, (Hydra-Shok, Gold Dot, Golden Sabre, Ranger T, XTP) are designed to minimize the effects of clothing. Remember, though, even if the bullet plugs up and doesn't expand, it'll still punch a .357 caliber hole that will ruin the bad guy's whole day.:eek:

I don't see how a think wet coat could be any worse than a few think wet phone books.

A popular FBI load:
Winchester 38 Special +P 158 gr. Super-X® Lead Semi-Wad Cutter HP
says Velocity (fps) 890 Energy (ft.lbs.) 278 at muzzle

Federal 38 SPECIAL +P HYDRA-SHOK JHP
Velocity (fps) 950 Energy (ft.lbs.) 258 at muzzle

So I guess the FBI Load has it. Data on Remmington's would be nice but they don't show the ballistics on their site.

A JHP will act like a FMJ on some materials.

9mm FMJ bullets, even out of an SMG, can bounce off of wet wool coats.

Just curious, what kind of coat was that ? and what kind of distance was utilized and how was the shot "angled" ?

Thank you

NukemJim

Back