38 special "FBI load" availability

Alex Johnson

Who makes the +P 158 grain LHP load these days. I used to the Winchester stuff around, but I haven't seen any for quite awhile, so I'm not sure if it's still offered. Maybe it's just that my local dealers don't stock it.

The Remington is supposedly hotter...

c title.

Another very similar option is the Federal Nyclad 158+P hollowpoint, it's plain lead sorta dipped in plastic, so it travels slicker down the barrel and does less leading, but expands much like plain lead versus a true metal jacket.

I've been looking around for the Remington 158+P at various gun shops, I guess I'll have to look at the next gun show. Until then I've got a couple speedloaders worth with the Winchesters, which are the reloads to four Glaser Silvers and a Winchester 130grain +P Supreme in the cylinder. That's the one I want to carry; Winchester and Federal have a tendency to load their .38/.38+P stuff pretty light...Federal's 110 Personal Defense Hydrashock was a major disappointment.

Thank's, I guess I'll have to ask my local dealer to bring some of it in. I handloaded some 158 grain LHP to +P ballistics a while back and liked them. I figure it might make a decent carry load in my model 60.

Have any of you ever heard of Winchester silvertips in 95 grain +P loads. I bought a revolver this weekend that came with an old box of these. I shot a few of them to see how they worked in my model 60, but they shot way too low in it. All of the silvertips I've seen lately have been 110 grain.

Winchester 95gr Silvertip? Say, ... wasn't that the load that came out on top in the Strasbourg goat tests?

JUST KIDDING folks! :D

Probably an old cartridge that Winchester dropped in favor of the 110gr. The 110 is the bullet weight listed in Marshall & Sanow's 1996 book, so you're probably talking early 1990's or before.

The Win 95 gn plus p ST averages 1035 fps , poor accuracy, from a S&W M15 (4 in barrel). Good possibility of expansion, might make a good rabbit load? Would be more comfortable with Win 110 jhp Plus p at 1015 fps from same pistol.

I'm not a big fan of CorBon ammo, but they had a good idea with their .38 Special +P+ load launching a 158 grain LSWC-HP at a nominal 1000 fps from a 4-inch revolver. I don't think they catalog this load any more (or if they do, I haven't seen it in years), but I still have half a box or so.

Besides the CorBon, my favorite "FBI load" is the one offered by Remington. I have boxes of the FBI load from Federal, Winchester, and Remington, as well as the CorBon load, and intend to chrono them from snubby and duty length revolvers when I get the chance.

FWIW, a couple of years ago I chrono'ed the Winchester +P 158 grain LSWC-HP from a 2.5" S&W and got an average velocity of 820 fps, for 236 ft-lbs.

I can't recall ever having seen either the 158 gr +P FBI load or the Nyclad 125 gr standard load at any of the gun shows here in Houston, or when I lived in Fort Worth, or Midland. When I see them at gunshops they're always out of them by next time I come in. This hints to me that by the time I get to the gunshows (usually late Saturday afternoons) that all the early birds have bought them out. I've had to mostly order online.

158 LSWCHP is Seldom in stock - - -

I go by a local shop and tell 'em to order a box for me. I prefer the Remington but the Winchester is fine, too. Seldom takes over a week to obtain anything I order. If it does, so what? I keep the ready guns clean and without excess oil, so the ammo doesn't get stale.

I can't recall a time in last ten years when I've seen this ammo on a dealer's shelf anywhere in my area. I usually scan the ammo shelves when I'm in a shop, and it is just something not seen. I imagine the dealers simply stock what sells best.

Most of the major ammo mfgrs still catalog this not-flashy-but-steady-selling product. I usually buy about one box a year and rotate "ready ammo" through my house and carry pieces, and give away a couple or three cylindersful.

I handload a virtual duplicate of this round for practice, so I don't need much. I just replace what has been in the guns, and I've kept some of the old stuff on hand for ten and twelve years before shooting it in practice. I've never, EVER had a misfire.

It's worth the finding.

Best of luck
Johnny

Back