.38 Special 2" Snubbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike H

My personal preference in defence is the .38 Special 2" Bbl loaded with standard pressure Federal Nyclad hollowpoints, a round designed for the low velocities generated by these guns. My old Rossi is ready for retirement and I'm thinking of getting the new Taurus Mod 85 2" in stainless steel with barrel porting. Does anyone have any experience of this gun or of barrel porting in 2 inch barrelled revolvers.

------------------
Mike H

I like that round myself,,,,I know nothing about the pistol as ive never had one. Ive magnaported several different barrel lengths and calibers and I dont like them on a short barreled pistol---i dont like hot gases and flames shooting up wards were they could effect me if i have to shoot in close. I have had problems with night vision when shooting a short barreled magnaported revolver--that might just be my old eyes dont adjust quick anymore......but thats how i see it, and heck a 38 dosent kick even in a tiny Jframe....fubsy.

Fubsy's got it right; no need to port a 2" gun with standard pressure loads. Porting really shines with magnum loads in longer barrels because you need the gases going through the ports to be under considerable pressure to reduce muzzel flip. As far as a Taurus goes, I've never shot one. My daily carry is a S&W Bodyguard with Federal Nyclads and I don't think the average person would have any problem with the recoil of this round. Porting in this instance has many more negatives than positives.

------------------
Join the NRA.

One of my main carry guns is a Smith 642 Airweight Centenial. I usually carry 158 gr +p lead hollowpoints, but am currently carrying 125 gr +p Golddots. True, they have some snap, but I trust them more than the standard pressure loadings. Chronograph some standard pressure loadings from a two inch barrel. REALLY dismal velocities....

------------------
Mossyrock
I wasn't here. You didn't see me. Nobody can prove anything...

I second the Nyclad option -
They do work well out of a snub. Lead seems to be more of a puddy than a metal... shrooms out nicely. The blue coating has the same effect of a Moly coat... less leading, less friction, higher velocity for it's loading.

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

-- Adolph Hitler
September, 1935

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Yes, I have the Taurus UL85. No it's not a S&W but neverless a nice piece. I have carried one for a year. I have tried several autos for carry, but keep returning to the simple 5 shot two inch revolver. Single action trigger is nice. Double action trigger
not bad, can be made better with change in springs. Most people either love or hate them. I have talked to people who had lemons.
Most peoples have good luck. All this talk I think I will go to the range and do some shooting.

As a backup & off-duty I carry S&W M-60, 2" w/adj. sights. It's loaded w/PMC Starfire +P. Have not owned Taurus but fellow officers like it. Have fired ported snubs & don't like them nor do I feel it necessary on a .38Spl. Porting is OK for me on longer barrels.

I have the Taurus UL85 also. I have used it as my personal carry gun for over a year. I find it to be a good overall pistol. It is not the sort of pistol I would fall in love with, but I feel very comfortable with it. I have recommended it to others. I have a Kahr but like Joel Helms I keep carrying the Taurus. I have no experience with ported barrel, but I feel that fubsy is right, they are not a good idea in this type weapon.

------------------
TOUJOURS PRET
Swamprat

Tried a Taurus titanium ported 2" .38 spl today with 125 gr Plus P rounds. I did not think the porting helped noticeably. In comparison with my Smith 442 (airweight) the Taurus came out a poor second-not as smooth and not as well fitted, in my opinion. I have no problem staking my life on a S&W J frame. Needless to say I do not get the same feeling from the 'just as good' guns...

------------------

I own a Taurus 85 with a 2"BBL and it is a great gun for the money. I can't tell the difference between it and a Model 36 or 60 chiefs. My mom just bought a ported version of the model 85 last year and I had the chance to fire them both at the same time to see if the porting really made a difference with a snub barrel. Maybe it was just me, but I couldn't tell the difference. Nyclads are great loads, stick with them and your snub .38 will say thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back