.38 S&W Terrier

Well, it could be an I-frame, or it could be an I-frame Improved.

Take the grips off.

If it has a leaf spring, it's an I-frame.

If it has a coil spring, it's an I-frame improved.

I frames started in bout 1896 and continued into the 1950s. Originals had leaf hammer spring and toward the last they had coil hammer spring like the J frames.

Sam

Thanks for responses. It's a 32 - 1, or 32 - I, can't tell, stamped on frame inside crane, has coil spring. Came in original box marked .38 Terrier.

I frame Terrier started putting the model number (32) on frame at crane in 1958. Model 32-1 indicates the switch to J frame in 1961.

Soooo, yours is a J frame and it was made after 1961.

Sorry bout the wrong path originaly.

Sam

C.R. / Mike.....I kinda thought it might be a "transition" pistol as it pretty much matches my square butt 36 J. It does give the illusion of being smaller because of the shorter cylinder. I was originally attracted to thie gun because it looked like a 32 cal in the showcase. I was dissapointed when I realized it was .38, but I couldn't pass it up. I should of related more info in my first post but I was too lazy to get my glasses to look at model #. Thanks for your info and patience.

Popeye,

What's the first couple digits of the serial number?

You give me those, and I'll give you year of manufacture.

Right off the top, though, it will be between 1961 and 1974.

Thanks for your trouble. That puts it in Bangor- Punta country but gun and internals look good. Thanks again.

I sold a LOT of Bangor Punta guns. QC'd them when they came in. Less than one percent went back. Rest were nice and my customers probably think BP guns are just great.:)

Have several BP guns now and all are FAR superior to the recent offerings from the traitors. Fit, finish and function.

Sam

Back