.38+P Ammo

Doc Lucas

Inactive
Can anybody give me a good simple explanation of how the +P part of the .38+P actually works? I know that the round somehow captures and uses the gasses from the powder ignition more effeciently than the non +P, or at least that's what I've been told, but I'd sure like something a little more technically detailed by way of explanation. Is it a chambering/brass combination issue, or what?

+P .38 Special cartridges are just higher pressure loadings suitable for only stronger made pistols.

The general rule is these are for use in steel frames and cylinders only. I would further recommend contacting the pistol's maker for the final word.

The gas sealing I think you are alluding to is only done in a few specialized revolvers, most notably, the Russian Nagant. The brass case is much longer and the bullet is seated below the case mouth. The cylinder moves forward, placing the case mouth into a small rebated area of the forcing cone, effectively sealing the barrel/cylinder gap.

+P indicates a heavier load than the "standard" cartidges. +P+ indicates an even heavier load. .38 Special +P+ should be used only in revolvers chambered for the .357 Magnum.

In the .38 Special, +P+, supposedly only available to law enforcement, is a politically correct round. It allows police to use a round nearly as powerful as the .357 Magnum, but without the "overkill" connotation of the Magnum round. Makes it easier on the police PR team when they can say "Our police use the .38 Special; we will not use the powerful .357 Magnum because it hurts the poor bad guy too much."

Jim

.38 Special +P+

I don't know if they ever used that headstamp, but the LE-only .38 Special ammo with military type headstamps was always referred to as +P+ and was to be used only in revolvers chambered for the .357 Magnum. I am not sure SAAMI talks about this stuff, as it was made and sold only on US contract and was never released to the public.

Jim

Thanks, Gary. I finally dug out some of mine and yes, they are marked +P+. SAAMI is the SPORTING Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute and does not list every type of ammo made. There are dozens of type of ammunition made for police and military, as well as other uses, that SAAMI does not list. I could cite tool gun blanks, kiln gun cartridges, mortar igniters, grenade launcher cartridges and boosters, AP ammunition, tracer and incendiary ammunition, etc., etc.

Jim

Back