.38 Hand Ejector Model 1905? or...?

wizrd

…Military & Police model of 1905 - first change? Best pics I got - from phone pics from Georgia. Any ideas of value on this piece? NOT FOR SALE, woman is just wondering - inherited from Grandfather. Ser. # 8941X - 6" or 6 1/2" bbl. nickel, could the pearl grips have been custom ordered, or were they aftermarket? Condition seems pretty nice from these pics, hard to judge without hands on inspection.

Attachments

• I1552721510.jpg
    I1552721510.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 85
  • I1552721641.jpg
    I1552721641.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 61
  • I1552721789.jpg
    I1552721789.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 68
Even from the tiny pictures, I can tell the gun has been refinished. The pearl grips are probably original-they were very popular.

Your pictures are waaaay too small to make out any significant details. Serial number places as having been made sometime between 1906 and 1910, so it would be a Model 1905. As for the finish, I agree with Bill, from what little I can see, it looks to be in too nice a condition for it to be original. The old nickel finishes seem to be prone to flaking from age and seeing one that is over a 100 years old with zero condition issues makes me suspicious.

A finish that nice is unusual, but it's not unprecedented.

A few years ago a good friend of mine picked up a nickle Model of 1903 Hand Ejector in .32 S&W Long that was made in 1904.

Other than a few very small blemishes and a nick in the hard rubber grips it looks as if it left S&W yesterday. The plating is absolutely immaculate.

I gave it a hard look, but I bought the Model of 1905 3rd change .38 Special on the table next to it. Unfortunately, the blued finish has gone plumb brown but it is a VERY sweet shooter.

The main thing that would indicate a refinish to me in this case is the color of the nickel. All of the older nickeled guns I have seen have kind of yellowish nickel, guns nickeled after WW2 typically have nickel that looks like chrome.

Third pic

The third pic def. shows a refinish. Lettering is darn near wiped out near the chamber end of the barrel.

I've looked at that picture in a variety of magnifications and I simply can't convince myself that it's either picture quality/reflections or actual overpolishing.

Back