.38 colt detective.......

RAY WOODROW 3RD

I just picked up(well its paid for just waiting on the permit) a colt detective special. It has a 2" barrel with detective special on it and its a blued six shot .38 special. The start of the serial numbers is 91014xx I beleive. Below the serial number on the inside of where the yoke of the cylinder closes are two letters "LA". does anybody know what that means?

Hi, Ray,

You are being ignored because I suspect no one knows the answer. Very likely those letters are some sort of inspector marking, but I don't know. The serial number you gave is not possible, and I think you have one too many "x"s. A Detective Special in the 910xxx series would have been made in 1966 and should have a "D" in front of the serial.

Jim

No. If I remember correctly, no "D" is in front of the serial #. 910143 is the serial # I remember. I should have written it down. I was just curious what the "LA" was and I guess everyone else is also. Have I stumped the "TFL wise men?" I will get a better discription on Moday.:D

RW, what Jim K wrote about the SN is correct. There is the possiblity that the D was lightly struck or maybe it was left off and is a factory mistake. You could letter it from Colt, but, that is expensive (@ $100 IIRC).

Back