38 ACP empty case scource.

HisSoldier

I have an old 1903 Colt Hammer Pocket pistol (Not the 1903 hammerless, this is larger). Of course it's chambered in .38 ACP , which is an obsolete case. I see that Buffalo is loading for the 1903 but they are using Starline 38 Super brass.
I absolutely hate the idea of loading in mis-stamped cases, it seems to me to be a recipe for confusion.
Of course it's no biggy if I shoot .38 ACP loads in my .38 Super but how will I know they are .38 ACP when I go to shoot the 120 year old 1903?

This is probably not a problem most of you deal with. I thought about buying Starline brass and stamping an "X" over the "Super" of "38 Super", it would take time to do that to 500 rounds. I know there is a see through dye of some kind they put on the noses of tracer ammo but that might be confusing too.
Any ideas?
Thanks,

My god you make something so simple seem so hard to do.

Load the cases, put them in a box, AND LABEL THE BOX.

Is that so hard?

So you have never come upon a few unboxed rounds? It only takes one to go kaboom.
No, I rely on headstamps far more than box labels. That's far more simple.

Here are some options.

1. Load the 38 ACP data in 38 Super cases, and the 38 Super data in 38 Super +P cases. Starline makes 'plain' 38 Super cases that lack the +P designation.

2. Load the 38 ACP data in brass cases and the 38 Super data in nickel cases - like they did in the old days.

3. Save one headstamp (e.g. Remington) for 38 ACP and other headstamps for 38 Super.

4. Color the bottom with a magic marker. It's faster than coloring the bullet tip. Competitors often color the bottom of their brass to distinguish their cases from other shooters' cases.

Back