375 Winchester available

GoF150xlt

Got notice from Midway USA they received some 375 Winchester. I had been waiting YEARS for some commercial stuff. Ordered 4 boxes. Checked later and they said sold out. Checked again next day and in stock. Ordered 2 more boxes. Paid too much, but a lot less than the few auctions out on the web, buffalo bore 38-55. etc... Even 375 cal. bullets for reloading were scarce. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
It is a conspiracy among the bullet manufacturers. You can't justify jacking up the price on a 50 year old cartridge? You simply release it in short runs and claim a shortage. Can't get people to buy new and "Improved bullets"? Simply stop making the good ol' reliable bullets and force reloaders to either buy assembled cartridges, or buy the new, "improved", HIGH PRICED scrap they do not want. I have been waiting over two years for some bullets to be restocked.

It is a conspiracy among the bullet manufacturers. You can't justify jacking up the price on a 50 year old cartridge? You simply release it in short runs and claim a shortage. Can't get people to buy new and "Improved bullets"? Simply stop making the good ol' reliable bullets and force reloaders to either buy assembled cartridges, or buy the new, "improved", HIGH PRICED scrap they do not want. I have been waiting over two years for some bullets to be restocked.

GoF150xlt, good post to help folks out. But I take exception with the above.

The 375 is a NEW and IMPROVED cartridge. I saw it for the gimmick it was when it was introduced. Those who purchased the guns will have to live with situation.

I quoted the above because he claims the old stuff is over priced and two sentence later says the new stuff is over priced. !?! Which is it?

Anyone with a 38/55 can reload easy. No problem with brass or bullets and I think there is enough loaded ammo out there. The 375 maybe a problem. With a big game (ie deer,moose,bear,elk) rifle you dont need 100's of rounds per season. Unless you are buffalo bill shooting for the rail road. It wont matter if you have to over pay for a couple boxes. Time to rethink paper punching with hunting (jacketed 375) ammo. You can practice with cast bullets.

Last edited:
It is both. How can you justify the price of 25-35 ammunition being almost double the price of 30-30? How about those stupid rubber tipped bullets for the 30-30? Remington Corlokts work just fine, if you could get them. Hornady 117 Grain RN are hit or miss when you look for them, but there is no end to "New, improved" SP bullets. Tried to buy any heavy 6.5's lately? You are just bitter because you were suckered into buying a .375. You are in the wrong thread. The failed cartridges is another thread.

I see your point. Hornady gets $40 for 25/35 and $30 for 30/30 loaded with similar FTX (tipped) LeverRevolution. Now, this fancy tipped ammo can perform. If you dont need that, then; it is more money for something you dont want.

Does Remington still load 25/35 corelock? I dont see any here:
https://www.remington.com/ammunition/centerfire-rifle/core-lokt

I suppose Hornady is free to price what ever the market will bear. I bet if you could ask Hornady, they will say it ties up thier machinery to change setup for these small runs of low demand ammo. Look at Remington, they dont bother. Glass is 1/2 full?

I don't know. I have not seen any for sale in a while. The .250 savage is getting expensive, if you see it. I was always a fan of the Hornady .257 117 grain RN bullets in lower velocity rifles. I had problems with them opening up at close range with .257 Roberts+P loads. Now Hornady is pushing spire point 117 grain .257 bullets. I have to wonder how they will perform at close range with a low pressure rifle. It sounds crazy, but a bullet that will open up fine in soft tissue past 100 yards will not always open up on soft tissue at 20 yards. Bullets are very complicated things. A 6.5 soft point may go through a pine board like a woodpecker, but at the same range tear a groundhog in half. Remington, Winchester, and private bullet companies spent millions designing bullets, but now they are trying to reinvent the wheel.

Midway's site shows the Winchester 200 grain SP stuff as being 'On Sale'(20 round boxes only) and available.
And the cartridge is only 39 years old. Vs the 111 for the .30-06. The .375 Win is still an answer to an unasked question. snicker.
"...375 cal. bullets for reloading..." Most of 'em are for real .375 cartridges like the H&H. Lot of 250ish grain bullets on Midway's site. Serious shortage of data though. 200 and 220 grains only on Hodgdon' site.

Just so you guys know, I spoke to Ryan Farr last week and he said that Barnes will be releasing the Barnes Originals in May.

I shoot those when I shoot jacketed bullets.

He also said you can order from Barnes by calling 1-800-574-9200.

Their online store is no longer in service.

If you like the Originals (and I do), you should consider ordering direct. Your chances prolly would be better at getting some instead of waiting on the online retailers.

Also, Starline is producing the 375 Win. brass.

How about those stupid rubber tipped bullets for the 30-30?

Gunplummer I couldn't agree more. I never did buy into the gimmick of the overpriced bullets. I found two bowling balls and set them at 300 yards and shot them to giblets with my 30-30 and a 3x scope using handloaded remington corelok 150gr jacketed bullets. What would a gimmick bullet have done any better?

There was an article many years ago in a Gun Digest book on the 375 winchester. The guy who wrote it had one of the rare Marlins in 375. He used cast bullets and even came up with a round ball load for 50 yard shooting. He used hardened lead bullets and reported that they shot about as well as the jacketed variety. His rifle had the micro groove rifling. If I had a 375 I would have to have a hollow pointed mold made for it. My buddy has a winchester 375 but as far as I remember he has never killed a deer with it.

I am not picking out the .375 in particular, just tired of the gimmicks and sales pitches to jack up prices and push unwanted junk at us. Some of the newer bullets actually perform worse than the old style when loaded in certain cartridges.

i don,t own a .375, but i own several 38-55 rifles and when .375 brass was all over the place i bought several hundred unprimed win cases and they work well in the 38-55 rifles. eastbank.

Maybe I am wrong but can't you make 38-55 and 375 brass from 30-30 brass? I though the 30-30 case came from necking down the 38-55 case.

Oops. I found this on leverguns so maybe not.

"When the 1894 Winchester rifle was on the drawing boards, they ultimately decided to use the .38-50 Ballard cartridge case of 1876, and neck it down to hold a 160 gr. .30 Caliber "metal patched" bullet."

Last edited:
i don,t own a .375, but i own several 38-55 rifles and when .375 brass was all over the place i bought several hundred unprimed win cases and they work well in the 38-55 rifles. eastbank.
If you don't mind that the .375 cases are a tad shorter than the 38-55.

375 brass

I have read you can fire-form 30-30 brass to use with your 375, but the case neck walls might be thinner than proper 375 brass so you will need to watch your pressure, and the number of reloads might be less (not sure how true that is).

Buffalo Bore notes you can use their 38-55 ammo in your 375. But at $60 per box, getting 375 Winchester at $45 per box is a less expensive way to go.

I bought reloading dies, but finding 375 brass and proper 375 bullets had been next to impossible during this outage. I found one company that did a limited run of 375 after being out for a while.

I like the uniqueness of my 375 Big Bore Winchester 94, but feeding her is a task. :) That is why I was glad to share the news that some ammo was available. Right now it looks like it might be gone....:(

I have made both 7 30 and 375 brass from 30 30. I do not load either one to full capacity. it allows me to shot them both. fwiw. bob

true the 375 brass is a little shorter, but not enough to matter, i load the 375 brass with a 220gr hornady bullet and crimp in the crimp groove and my marlin CB feeds and shoot them. i bought several hundred unprimed cases just for my marlin when they were available. eastbank.

Vollmer has bullets in stock, Hawk also makes bullets on a regular basis, but not usually in stock. Sierra still makes bullets, I lucked into 3 boxes of Sierra 200gr at my LGS a few weeks back.

Captech International has jumped into selling brass made by Jameson Brass and Ammo (JBA). I bought some recently but they are showing out of stock when I last looked.

There ARE options out there Gents, and some new players are stepping up to the plate.

I love my 375 Win Big Bore too!

Back