375 vs.380 Lead balls?

ZVP

I located a couple articles on the.36 C&B revolvers. One suggested substituting the .380" ball for bestchamber fit, seal, and overall accuracy.
I purchased a box ot the oversized balls and noted these traits;
Loading, the larger balls shaved of a sizable "ring" while seating obviously, the larger ball did seal well. However the added strain upon the revolvers ramming arm could accumulate ineither bending the handle orinloostening up the mounting screws The '61 style handle and mechanism could be the best design to push the large balls in.
There's no advantage to the larger balls after ramming as the balls are sized to the cylinder and any additional contact area with the rifling can't occur. They are sized to the same size a .375" ball gets sized.
The miniscule additional weightof the .380" balls didn't seem to make any difference in trajectory or POI at various ranges.
The only real advantage could perhaps happen if heavire Conical bullets were used.
Lacking a Chronograph, I could not quote any velocities +/- with the larger balls.
The only possible advantage is if you had one oversized chamber and the larger balls would prevent bullet creep during discharge.
My favorite charge is 25 gr of Pyrodex, with COW filler, and a lubed felt patch, touched off by aRemington #11 cap. Thus far i have come to favor the Pyrodex propellant for it's clean shooting cariteristics, low cost, and easy hot water and Windex clean-up!
Real BPis scarce here in Central Calif and I have turned almost exclusivelly to Pyrodex. It works well in both my Colt and Remington replicas.
ZVP

Generally speaking Uberti and 2nd and 3rd Generation Colts use the .380 round balls.

In the last 10-15 years Pietta has really standardized their .36s. They are made to shoot .375 round ball as our Remington, Colt and Spiller & Burr sixguns all have .369 chambers and .367 groove diameters making for a great seal and good accuracy.

ASMs were all over the place but we have learned that they generally followed Uberti and Colt. Our ASM Pocket Police for example has .374 chambers, so it begs for a .380 round ball.

There's no advantage to the larger balls after ramming as the balls are sized to the cylinder and any additional contact area with the rifling can't occur. They are sized to the same size a .375" ball gets sized.

They are sized to the same size as a .375 ball after loading but the .380 is bigger to start with so there's a longer flat area after sizing. That flat area is what engages the rifling so there is additional bearing surface for the rifling to grip.

I shoot a Pietta '51 .36, I have shot over 100 .395s through it.
I have a .40 squirrel rifle and a .395 mold, after shooting up a box plus of those
store-bought .375 I tried some of dead soft pure lead .395. I am careful with the pressure on the loading and the lead ring is large.
My opinion is the longer the "flattened" sides are the more stable the bullet and the better seal.
"The cheque is in the mail" for a.380 mold.

I'm wondering if you are using too hard of lead for there to be excess stress to the ram lever. Dead soft lead is easy to shave or swage into shape. I see no problem with .380 balls. I use a 0000 buckshot mold that throws TEN balls per casting. They work great for Cowboy Action matches.
http://buckshotmold.com/

Back