375 H&H Magnum

Dan Morgan

Inactive
I'm new to a Ruger #1 in 375 H&H Mag, I've read some remarks about finding 270 gr. soft point factory ammo and the 300 gr. solid factory ammo that will hit to the same point of aim, within hunting requirements of course, not going long range with this thing.
The rifle has the factory open sights and I have a Leupold 1.5-4 scope as well.

Looking to hear from anyone who has had experience with this.

I certainly like mine with open sights. It's brushy here in Pacific NW, so 100 yards is pushing it for game. No issues with POI here, but with open sights hard to know if me or the ballistics.

Different weight bullets usually have different points of impact. With some guns the points are close together with others not so much. Right, left, up down its normal for a gun to put a different load in a different spot.

Now, at closer ranges, and for practical purposes, a difference of an inch or even two on a big game rifle at the expected range is not very significant.

The thing about the .375H&H is that with certain bullet weights & speeds it approximates the trajectory of the .30-06. The 235gr load (not a factory offering) roughly matches the 150gr .30-06, the 270 matches the 180gr 06, and the 300gr is closer to the 220gr 06. (not identical, but very similar).

There is a guy on one of my other forums who just put up 5 boxes of Federal Power Shok 300gr for sale. He's asking $35/box plus shipping. If you are interested, shoot me an IM with your contact info and I'll pass that along to him.

I've had a lot of experience with 375HH. Sako, Ruger 1 , Win 70, Rem 700.
Used Win 270 PP to hunt. Guns were sighted with 3x/ dead on at 100yds.
Had 300 solids that I got cheap, at 100yds very little difference. Then I
started loading Speer 235gr/ 73.5gr IMR 3031/ LRMP/ at 2825fps. Less
recoil and all the bullet needed to kill moose & bear. Very accurate load
out of all 4 rifles. Left to right: 300fp. 270pp. 235 Speer
42aa2683e9c922f0baa7486a0557fd87.jpg

I've read that too, about 270s / 300s hitting to same point. Seems to me that it's just nonsense, as a matter of basic physics. The higher BC of the 300 doesn't nearly make up for the lost muzzle vel. The 300 will simply hit lower at all ranges - maybe not that much, but definitely some. If they meant "about the same point of aim", well then, they should have said that; they didn't. Even still, we could argue about how close "about" means... So bottom line, no. Don't rely upon such statements - test every load, and know exactly where the one you will use will hit, at the ranges you expect to use it at.

Incidentally, I had my first .375 H&H recently. 8 shots from the bench and I'd enjoyed all I could stand. That's with mild little 270s. Damn, it's a brute from the CZ Amer. Safari Magnum format, at least to me. I think .30-06 and down will do everything I need to do, until I go to Africa in a decade or two. Until then, saving my shoulder. Sold it.

I have a pair of Browning Stainless Stalkers, one in 338 Win Mag, & one in 375 H&H, both with BOSS... I always assumed the bigger bore more powerful ( never looked at pressures ) I do know that with Federal Premium Safari ammo with Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, the 338 has much more penitration...

on my old 100 yard range, I used one of those huge chest freezers packed full of sheet rock pieces as a target backer / backstop... I never had a 375 pentrate fully, & nearly every 338 penitrated the 30" deep freezer packed solid with sheet rock... in fact I started shooting it quite a bit, & that encouraged me to go through the work of extending mm range to 300 yards & greatly improving my backstop :)

Back