.36 vs .44

Nope.

Now, having oversimplified with a one word answer, I should add the caveat that it's based on shooting the "optimum" loads in each gun, which, of course, is not the same load. And therein lies the devil: developing the "optimum" load is a bit of an art, so the answer isn't nearly as simple as it sounds.

It's pretty much an axiom that, if you set an accuracy standard with a .44, say, 5 shots in a 1 inch group at 25 yards for example, I can find a load that will shoot that same accuracy with a .36. And if you specify a ballistic standard with a .44 of, say, 750 fps/150 fpe at 25 yards, for example, I can find a load that will shoot that same ballistic profile with a .36. Will they be the same load? No. Will they be the same at 50 yards? No.

The .44 has better stopping power. The .36 is lighter and easier to carry, and for some people, to shoot. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.

difference

yes - there is a big difference between the two in kinetic energy with the .44's far exceeding the .36's. The .44's are shooting 140 grain balls at the same velocity as the .36's 80 grain balls. Accuracy... the .36 probably has the edge, but it depends on the individual revolver. Recoil - due to the increased weight of most .44's its very similar. The 36 is less expensive to shoot of course, but really, these are so slow to shoot that they are both very economical. Most of my shooting sessions are done after 25 rounds - in an hour. Of course, I'm not in any hurry...

If you are trying to figure out which one to purchase, it depends on what you want out of it. They are both useful calibers. For hunting, the .36 is better for mid to small game and the .44's are better for big game. That kind of thing.

The other factor is the models that they are available in. You can't get a .36 caliber Walker or Dragoon for example. But you can get a .36 or a .44 in Rem 58 model and 1851 Colts models.

Already mentioned is the revolver weights which factor in if you want to pack it around.

Another thing is that some guys just feel more "manly" shooting a .44 - especially if somebody at the range says something like "oh, that's just a .36... my brother shoots a .44. Does that little thing kick at all?" :lol:

All comes down to taste - but back to your question - I say emphatically "yes".

I agree there is a big difference in kinetic energy - shooting standard loads for each caliber. My point was one can develop a load for a .36 that results in the equivalent kinetic energy at some point in the trajectory as a .44. I get to pick the projectile size/shape and powder for each caliber.

Cheating? Yes, perhaps. It's a complicated question with lots of variables to control, but I think it can be done.

Back