36 vs 44 velocities?

ZVP

Generally speaking, with the average recommended charges in each caliber, what would a ballpark estimate of velocities be?
Say a 30 gr powder charge in .44 vs a 25 gr charge in a .36?
From the info I have been able to gather, the .36 should generate about 900 fps and the .44 maybe up to 800fps.
Both would be more than adequate foe slf defense if these estimates are near correct.
I have always wondered WHY(?) wild Bill chose the .36 over more modern and current loads of the era? Was it velocity, penetration, or trajectory and accuracy that made the .36 mosr favored by Wild Bill?
Thanks for your help and opnions!
BPDave

I have read that Wild Bill had rather small hands so the 1851 likely fit into his hand better that the larger 1860. Additionally, the 1851 Colt Navy was very popular and the larger .44s were mainly used by Cowboys on the trail to shoot wolves, etc.

accuracy that made the .36 mosr favored by Wild Bill?
I was always under the impression that he was very familiar with them and shot them very well... Therefore, why change when hitting what you aim at trumps a 'heavier bullet' miss? Even I notice when I move from one revolver to the next it has a different feel, balances slightly different, etc. I suspect this had a lot to do with it. When you life depends on it, stick with what works (and has worked) for you. Anyway, that is my take.

Wild Bill's reasons should be obvious to all....

He was reading this forum and found out that Hawg likes .36 caliber revolvers.

.......;o)

I have heard that Bill himself said something to the effect "I don't need to kill them, I only need to make them sit down and stop shooting".

I love small bore muzzleloaders, they are twice as much fun and only cost half as much to shoot.

I love small bore muzzleloaders, they are twice as much fun and only cost half as much to shoot.

Especially if you cast your own. I get about 140 RB per pound of lead for my .32's. Compare that to 7.7 bullets per pound for my .62.

I also get 200 shots per pound of powder with my .32, compared to 58 shots per pound with my .62.

The link above was pretty neat. By the momentum formula my .62's 900 g bullet has a momentum of 154 ft/s with my standard hunting powder charge. That's the equivalent moment of being shot with a 22 lr by 25 people at the same time. :eek:

I know its not the same thing but it sure looks good on paper. :cool:

Boomer

Last edited:
Back