.36 Or .44

I can only comment on what I have seen and this is just opinion so take it with a grain of salt. My .44's are tack drivers! I only have one .36 and have not had much time to shoot it but it seems to shoot much bigger groups. I know that I could get it to do better if I had some time to mess around with it.

Having said that I think the .44 shoots best. It just seems like a natural size caliber for BP. Meaning that it just works well. IMHO

With the proper load, proper ball, in equal guns in the same hands there is no difference as long as the shooter does their job :rolleyes:

I've never shot the .36, but I'm pretty well satisfied with my .44. Its not the most accurate handgun I've ever shot, but it will put holes in firewood all day from 20 yards.

My Pietta .44 Remington is more accurate than my Uberti Colt .36. I don't believe it has a thing to do with the size of the hole in the barrel, though. It's just that my .44 happens to be a more accurate pistol than my .36. ( Or any of the other 9 centerfire pistols I own either, as far as that goes.)

I agree with Willy and Fur that the .44 is easier to load and, in my state, is also the only one of the two legal for deer hunting.

Steve

The 44s

The bigger 44s are easyer to load , they do punch bigger holes in paper targets ( much easyer to see holes) They hit steel targets harder and ring it louder , They are heavyer and knock down steel targets with ease , They`ll shoot straighter further because they are heavyer , need i go on ..:D

I have to say my .44's are a bit more accurate, but I think that is due to all the diff powder charges I went thru to find the best for my gun's.

I have not shot my .36 enough to get that "right charge" tho.

I agree that the size of the ball does not factor that much difference in accuracy, and agreed the .44's are easier to load.

no practical difference
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

30yards on hand standing with traditional bullet.

Last edited:
Back