36 caliber load

Kinda depends on who made the revolver and when. IME, Ubertis and 2nd Gens have a slightly larger chamber diameter than Piettas & some older ASPs.
Determining max would be a trial and error undertaking.

I have a Uberti from 1985 that will hold 30 grains of fffg, a wad, and a .380 rb. Have never tried to load a max load in any other revolvers I own though. My normal .36 load is 22 grains fffg, wad & .380 rb.

The simple answer would be "as much as you can fit in".

Just remember, just because you "can do it" doesn't mean you "should". You need to work up a load just like you would with a cartridge revolver to see what shoots best.

I would think that it would be pretty easy chore to find out by taking your cylinder off, picking up a powder measure and through trial and error, find out. You can do it two different ways . . by volume or by weight.

"Chamber volume" will vary depending on the make of the revolver and I would imagine it could also vary with the same make but different production runs. No different than figuring a load for a BP cartridge. You know it needs to be compressed, you know the slug dimensions you are using (in your case, the dial. of the ball and the thickness of the wad) and for a BP cartridge, what the seating depth is and the COAL. The variance will be in the volume of the casing which can vary from one make to another.

Back