.36 caliber bp revolver, good for what, exactly??

ROA

Inactive
Hey guys, I always had ruger old armies, but I never ventured into anything of the .36 caliber variety. I hunt deer with my .45's, but what can you hunt with the .36? I think it must be more accurate due to the less recoil, but the bullet looks small to me, how effective is this caliber at hunting deer or any game for that matter? Or is it strictly for target shooting? What do you guys recomment? Thanks in advance!!:D

You hear talk of 19th century people shooting wild cattle and hogs with it. suspect it's a bit light for deer sized game but it's not just for targets.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Some old boy name of Wild Bill Hickock found the .36 Colts to be plenty medicine for his use.

But then again, your proverbial mileage may proverbially vary.

possum

:eek:
Dang, you look angry!

I was going to suggest rabbits when I saw the heading, but you beat me to it. :D

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Nice Pic!!

Hi Mec, nice pic! Great shot, with those rabbits.. I know it mustn't be easy to hit those.... I was looking into an 1862 colt police revolver in .36 cal.. Good choice?? I always had the heavy calibers... I think its time for something a little lighter..

Thanks Guys!!

The police revolvers and pocket navies shoot ten inches or a foot high but are accurate enough if you dovetail in a taller front sight.

The .36 percussion revolver has very close to the power of a standard velocity .38 Special. It would be OK for small game, but I wouldn't recommend use on animals in the deer category. It would be reasonable for self-defense as long as reloading was not required.

Jim

I guess I'd rather stick to my .44's

Thanks, Guys. I guess I'd rather stick to my .44's... In my part of the woods you never know what you are going to see, and that includes bears. I'd rather feel a little more comfortable carrying the .44, than the .36 which is for small game only. Thanks.

Back