.357SIG vs 40SW

Status
Not open for further replies.

thequickad

Somewhere back in the 9mm vs 40SW debate, I picked up a comment that the Police agencies are changing calibers because they like "new" equipment. First I didn't think much of it. But then I read today that Texas DPS is going to .357SIG. Yes another new caliber which will require, you guessed it "new guns" Well it feel like the calibers are following the Pentium clock speed formula. NOt really better or faster, but IS the latest thing.

Well the great thing about the 40vs357sig debate is you don't have to choose.You can have both with a simple barrel change provided the frame is able to handle the 357sig such as the Sig229/new226in 40 and the finger grooved glock 40cal frames.

Another thing about the Sig round is its incredibly accurate. I've got a Glock 27 with a 33 barrel,and its a lot more accurate than the 40 round in the same gun. Shot placement is everything. I really like the 357 Sig round.....its fun to shoot.

The deal is, a lot of cops like the .357M round because of the highly publicized 87% single shot stopping power. Sig wanted to duplicate that characteristic in an auto loader. The other nice feature is that it is virtually jam-proof.

I have also heard of the barrel swap theory with .40 cal. but I want it from the manuf. before I try something like that.

...at least that's what I read...

Porter:

You can do it...SIG will cheerfully sell another bbl to you in either caliber. I recommend you have it fitted by a competent pistol smith or, perhaps better, send your pistol in to have the bbl fitted by SIG. BARSTO offers the same service if you prefer stainless steel.

A change in recoil springs may be required as well.

Yeah, the .357 SIG is accurate. It is, in fact, the most accurate semi-auto round I've ever fired in 30 + years of shooting.

Mike

The Texas DPS was very happy with their Magnums, even though the FB/Fackler/IWBA folks said it was "marginal". Worked great for them.

When they went auto they went for the 9/45 in FBI/Fackler/IWBA approved loads that were "better". After several yrs of using the "better" stuff, they did not agree.

According to their tests, the 357 SIG should be as good/better than their old Magnums.

So far, so good. It is working great for them. Time will tell?

------------------
>>>>---->

IMHO

The .357 SIG is superior in every detail except the cost of ammo. Whether it would be worth swapping hardware or no is another question. Perhaps they were ready to reissue?

------------------

I definetly agree that .357 SIG is a better round. I Just bought a used Sig p229 directly from a LEO for $250 (he is going through a divorce and he needed the extra cash) It came with the .40 and the .357 Sig barels. I higly prefer the .357 sig, even though my 15 year old son can shoot it better than I can.

bt

My Sig P226 is extremely accurate and flawlessly reliable in .357 Sig. Given the ballistics, I believe the .357 Sig provides exceptionally defensive capabilities. The "down side" is current factory ammo costs -- with ~$20 for a 50 round box being a very good price -- particularly if one shoots 500+ rounds per month. The solution is simple: a ~$200 Bar-Sto barrel in .40 S&W.

This provides a great combination: (a) the outstanding Sig P226; (b) the .357 Sig when desired; plus (c) the .40 S&W (an excellent series of rounds, but with current factory ammunition available at ~$10 per box) to keep it affordable.

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited September 16, 1999).]

I thought I'd have some support on this one, but I'd take the 40... If you want a fast 9mm, then go with the Cor-Bon 9mm ammo. You'll save a LOT when you just want to practice, and there's a HUGE variety of ammo.
Cor-Bon 115 can doo over 1300fps, and 466ft/lbs... a .357Sig can do over 1400 fps. Do you really think the 9mm is a slow bullet?

The .40 is an entirely different bullet... a little bit bigger. Bigger hole is sometimes a good thing. I would keep the .40 loaded with a lighter 135, 155, and maybe a 165 grain bullet. Fast and light expands quicker and "dumps more energy." If you go to a 180, you can get a .45 in a 185... so you might as well go with a .45... and so on.

All:

The best price I've found for .357 SIG (unless you roll your own, of course) is from Georgia Arms. They sell new, in Star Brass, 1300fps, 125gr FMJFP for $14.50/50rds. Just received 500 more rds of it today. It is the ticket for practice or IDPA/IPSC shooting.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited September 16, 1999).]

357 SIG Blazer ammo works fine in my Glock 32.

8.40 a box by the case (+ shipping). www.natchezss.com 1-800-251-7839

Case of 1000 from Midway for 199.99 (includes shipping) 1-800-243-3220

------------------
>>>>---->

Comparing a +P+ 9-mm to a 357 SIG has been done before and the truth is there is NO comparison if you compare apples to apples.

Ben said:
"Cor-Bon 115 can doo over 1300fps, and 466ft/lbs... a .357Sig can do over 1400 fps."

Ben compared a 9-mm CorBon 115-grain at 1300 (advertised velocity) to a *125-grain* 357 SIG. In reality, a 9-mm 115-gr CorBon will do 1250 to 1270 ft/sec in a 4 in SIG, but a 115-grain 357 SIG in the same length barrel will do 1500 ft/sec (as advertised)!

The 9-mm CorBon 115-gr at 1250 ft/sec with 389 ft/lbs of energy is no slow poke, but a 115-gr 357 SIG at 1500 with 574 ft/lbs of energy is in a league of its own!

Besides,
I didn't vote for the 9mm OVER the 40 or the .357 SIG... I simply said it was an affordable alternative. I'd take the .40 over all of these.

Ben

With all you guys buying the "latest, greatest thing on the market", and spending top dollar for it. I guess I'll be alone shooting my 9mm and having money left over for a beer afterwards.

Take care!!!

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

PeterGunn,

You're not alone... for practical purposes, I choose the 9mm also. If funds were imitless, I would have all three calibers. I do like the .40 though in the 165gr-and-under category.

Like I said, I'll stick to the gun I can afford to shoot... 9mm.

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back