357Sig Setback

brouhaha

I had heard that the problems with 357Sig setback had been fixed. Is this true? I just unloaded my Glock 33 and was looking at the round I've been chambering for the past 2 weeks or so. It's a Gold Dot 125gr from a box I bought only about 1 month ago. I wish I had a set a calipers to accurately measure this round, but it's about the width of a pencil lead shorter than it should be. I realize that this round is now trash, but should I call Speer and complain? Did I get a bad or old lot? Thanks for all info.

The setback is normal will most ammo.

COPS frequently load and unload the same bullet and have to trash the round if the bullet gets poked too far back.

Bullet setback is an issue with any caliber. Try rotating your ammo so you don't always chamber the same round. Keep an eye on your ammo and when it gets to a certain minimum level, fire it and replace it. If it gets too low, trash it safely.

The answer is: Why, yes, setback is a terrible problem, and without any doubt can cause catastrophic gun failure.

Pressure increases as combustion area decreases (but remember the Speer adage "But not always").

Setback, I am convinced, is the reason Glocks K-B (crappy cases holding bullets with insufficient case neck tension).

Am I done?

Some pistols have a steeper more severe feed ramp and can cause issues sometimes.

I had a jam with my Glock 21. On a hunch, I decided not to fire it. After looking at the cartridge, I could see that the bullet was pushed in too far.

I'd recommend to eject any cartridge that jams until you have time to examine it. Instead of tap-rack-bang, I prefer rack-bang.

I had some serious set back with new Triton 115 JHP ammo in 9mm HiVel ammo and a G19. About every 8 rounds one would set back far enough on the first chambering to jam.

Can happen with any ammo, but is probably easier with a short bottleneck and repeated chambering? Had some Blazer 357S that would set back w just thumb pressure.

A rule of thumb was a neck should be at least .25 inches; the 357S is a tad short.

Then again, Federal should know what they are doing? OTOH, they did beef up their 40 brass about 95 (5 yrs after it came out) due to repeated probs w blown cases, especially in the "perfect" polymer wonder from Austria.

Why I like the 9/45. :)

Back