.357mag too much noise?

one of my favorite calibers is .357 magnum, and I am considering buying a revolver chambered in it. However, a big concern for me is the intense noise it creates when fired. At the range, i was standing next to one that was loaded with 125 grain Cor-Bon loads (1500fps) and my ears had a slight ring in them for about an hour after leaving the range. Keep in mind i was wearing 27 decibel reducing headphones. Now consider a defensive situation in which you are forced to fire a .357magnum load INDOORS (with tile floors in my case!!!) at night, possibly after being just woken up and running to the gun.
Now i know that your adrenaline will be pumping so high it will cancel out most of the noise, but wouldn't you be inclined to flinch just a little before firing? (indoors, tile floor, night time). It would be so deafening a second shot may not be possible, or if so, very inaccurate. just my speculation. what do u guys think?

I fired one (4"bbl, 125gr JHP Federal) inside without hearing protection. I was pretty much totally deaf for a few minutes and badly hearing impaired for the rest of the night.

In spite of steroid therapy, I have noticeable hearing loss that appears to be permanent (it's been a few months now) as well as mild tinnitus (ringing) from time to time.

That's the reason the VA has valued the hearing loss in my ears at 10% disablility. Spend much time in combat and you'll loose your hearing later on in life.

I highly recommend that you wear ear plugs and muffs when shooting. I have when I could.

Jungle Work

I've never fired one inside without hearing protection but I have while hunting. It is definitly going to be very loud inside, but my experience outside is that it's pretty similar to a heavy shotgun load. (i.e. shotguns are very commonly used in HD with heavy loads)

If your worried about flinching then you should take it to the range and get used to the bang that happens when you pull the trigger and practice your second shot accuracy. If you can handle it at the range for a box of ammo at a time then you should be able to handle it in a SD situation. My ears ringing wouldn't be of much concern when my life is in danger though.

FMJ, you're gonna want to get some 30 or 32 NRR muffs for the indoor range. 27 really isn't enough IMO.

You should hear a 454 or 500 go off two slots down. Holy eff. Thought my eyeballs were gonna bust out.

i think it may be loud..but if you ever noticed when you go hunting...for me without earplugs...its as if your so focused that you dont even hear the shot go off or feel recoil most the time....i think it may be near the same...in a burgular situation....IMO...

Yes, the often mentioned "auditory exclusion". You still get the same hearing damage though, regardless of whether you hear it at the time.

That's one of the main reasons why I don't favor .357 for a defensive firearm anymore. Just too loud. The thing about it is, I know I'll be hesitating when I should be shooting because I don't wanna lose my hearing unless absolutely necessary.

Everyone should really have a pair of earplugs on their nightstand though. Grab the firearm(s) first, but put the plugs in too if you have time. If you're in your own house visual is much better than auditory when it comes to scoping for the badguy anyways.

People are always like "but I want every bit of my hearing to help me", well you won't have any hearing after the first shot anyways. Soldiers use earplugs too ya know.

Are you serious? I would NEVER plug my ears. I hear better than I see when it's dark. Just get a quieter round don't plug your ears in a home defense situation.

Last edited:
The funny thing in a firefight is that you hardly here your weapon go off. The senses become so focused that you don't even hear the rounds being fired. The explosions of grenades, satchel charges, etc. are reduced to little bangs. Unless you have a M-60 fired about two inches from your left ear.

Jungle Work

The funny thing in a firefight is that you hardly here your weapon go off. The senses become so focused that you don't even hear the rounds being fired. The explosions of grenades, satchel charges, etc. are reduced to little bangs.
....thats my point ....
im not sure what the argument is...i mean your choosing between hearing loss..and possible death...to you, your family...if it came down to it the last thing on my mind would be my hearing in that situation....there are other alternatives (quiter guns)....in actuallity no matter what you shoot indoors short of a 22 or something of the sort is gonna cause hearing damage one way or another...

I can't recommend any hearing exclusion device if your life is on the line, other than electronic Peltor Hearing protection. When your in combat or a shooting incident, you want all of your senses. Sight, hearing, smell, etc....they've all saved my fouth point of contact more than once.

Target Ranges are a different matter.

Jungle Work

Full Metal Jacket

I don't think a 357 mag is a great choice for home defense. You are right, the noise is unforgiving, but another thing to consider is the muzzle flash and how much they kick. I was out shooting a friends a few days ago, and it was like a friggin flame thrower. No doubt you would be blind after the first shot. I don't know how well you shoot with one, but I know I was having somewhat of a difficult time. Hers was a S&W 357 mag hammerless revolver with like a 2 1/4" barrel. All I know is that when it came time to shoot my S&W .45, it handled like butter compared to the 357. I was considering buying a 357, but this last trip to the range made me decide that I'll trust my ability to shoot the .45 over the .357 any day.

I suffer from that ringing in my ears. I've been around gunfire for a longtime, but I can sadly recall when I suffered the most damage..from S&W 65 with 125 grainers just inside a garage. Never got quite right after that. But in life and death situation, you have to do what you have to do. If you have time, put on those electronic aids, increase sounds and decrease the gunblast, best deal I say.

I have hearing loss in my left ear. Probably from shooting and being around machinery for a life time. I always wear hearing protection now, but when I was young nobody did. Any powerful gun is going to be load, especially indoors. I wouldn't choose my weapon based on how much noise it makes. You don't think that the often recommended home defense shotgun is not very loud, do you? If you really need the weapon, you won't mind the noise. Watch-Six

Holy Moly: 357 noise...

Although my hearing was fine with both 33db plugs and 29 db muffs at our indoor range, the shock-wave from the report of the .357 I had rented reflecting on the wall was still enoug to produce a stinging sensation on the skin on my arms and chest when I was firing the darn thing... :eek:

Yes, I had the lane by the wall, but still...that's when I decided I couldn't really enjoy shooting something that big that and stuck with .45ACP.

So why do I want to try a 10mm? Sometimes I just don't make any sense. ;)

Really, the best advice is to keep a set of electronic hearing protectors on the night stand next to the flashlight and the gun.

I don't care what you use, it's LOUD inside. A 9mm or .45 will blast your ears too.

Failing that, better deaf than dead. The .357 is a well proven, very effective round. There's no reason not to use a full sized revolver either, it will both mitigate the blast and flash.

As for the flah blinding you, yeah, and it'll blind THEM. Is it a big factor? If the shooting's started why is your flashlight off?

22, 25, 32, 380, 38, 357, 9, 40, 45, 12ga. doesn't matter all fall within the realm of "too loud" in terms of decible level. Especially when indoors with the sound waves bouncing off of hard walls. All can/will cause permanent hearing damage. If you are more concerned with your hearing than you are with actually surviving I suggest you get a bible of some sorts and pray to whoever you call god.

from S&W 65 with 125 grainers just inside a garage. Never got quite right after that.

Wow, I once fired a .22 magnum from inside a vehicle, never again.. :eek: I can imagine.

I've fired .22lr's out of pistols indoors and yes it's very loud even with hearing protection.

I've fired quite a few 210gr. .41 mag loads out of a Taurus Ti ported snub without hearing protection in an enclosed shooting range though, but I can still hear.

Luckily...

get a 9x19mm

I have read (damn, where did I read that!?), that a .357 is sure to damage your hearing when fired indoors without ear-protection. I remember the same source (gr-rrr, still no recall!) saying that the 9x19mm was the strongest gun which probably could be fired indoors without surely damaging your ears. Maybe I read this on www.chuckhawks.com, not sure :confused: . Seems like the 9x19mm damages your brain and not your hearing :p .

I had to fire my Glock 19 (9x19mm, 4" barrel) in a defence situation without hearing protection recently. It was outdoors, but I felt that it was very close to a problem. My ears shut so the bang didn't feel so loud, but I sensed a whistling sound for maybe 2 seconds. Then I was totally fine (hearingwise)...

Back