357mag Barrel Length

KelTeKee

Got this old snub dan wesson and was wondering if going to 4" would be a good idea. Don't really need the snub length since I never carry the thing but it sure looks cool. I do however want to squeeze as much juice out of my mag rounds as possible. Is 6" better than 4"? don't most fast burn powders need only a few inches to complete the burn? Thanks!

Which model Dan Wesson?
Some barrels and shrouds for the older models may not be readily available. If it's a Model 15 or 715 should be no problem.
I'm partial to the 4" barrel on my 715. If you go with a 6" recommend staying away from the full underlug unless you try one first. They look great, but really make the gun, particularly the small frames, muzzle heavy.
Take Care

I agree on 4" bein a great all round length. Longer if you are goin to do serious target shooting for the extra sight radius. Longer if you goin to load stout doses of slow burnin powder.

Swamp Yankee dead on re full length lugs. Some like em and some of us feel they should come with a nose wheel for support.

Sam

"Squeeze the most juice out of my mag rounds".....
Go with the longer barrel: more recoil control, better accuracy, and more velocity.
If I understand the idea behind your post 6" would be the MINIMUM I would consider.

Barrel length makes a big difference, look at the ballistics in a reloading manual for 357 out of a 14" TC barrel vs. a 7 1/2" blackhawk.

Depends on what the gun is for. Defensive factory .357 ammo is tuned to work out of 4" barrels because that's what people usually carry. For defense purposes, 4" is perfect.

If you're using non-expanding hardcast hunting ammo, or hunting JHPs that are "deep punch, delayed expansion", then driving them faster doesn't hurt and often helps. It gives you better range, and more "bone shattering" ability.

For target, faster means a flatter trajectory.

As the barrel gets longer, the sight picture gets more accurate but takes a bit longer to line up. Shorter tubes line up faster, which is why a lot of people like combat wheelguns to have a 3" or 4" tube. Which is why the ammo makers optimize the JHP expansion for that barrel length.

Swamp Yankee: I think I have the newer ones. It does not have that weird flange sticking out matting with the frame from barrel. It just has the barrel shroud. The tange for the grip is square. My friend has a 6" version with the full underlug and it is not too bad. I have yet to shoot one with just a 4".

SaM: I do want to shoot a bunch of factory stuff and probably use them for home defense but I also just started to fiddle with reloading with a friend that has been doing it for a while and I want to load some fun rounds just to see what they are like. Maybe I will get into it more.

Ben: Maybe I should get a 6 or 8" while I'm at it. This is why I like this cheap ol' revolver, you can do that.

Jim: I probably won't hunt with it unless I have to but touching off those hunting rounds is quite fun.

Thanks for the info folks...

Well, guess that's settled then. Just gonna have to get every barrel length you can find. Then maby nuther frame or so.

I understand the Dan Wesson virus spreads widely.

Sam

Sam, it does...and my dan wesson is kinda ugly(parkerized) with a wood handle that looks like a boy scout was board checkered it but I REALLY like the trigger. I met some guy in reno gun show that had all kinds of barrels and stuff for it but I didn't have the funds to allocate to them. I guess I bought too many of those out of stock items that I couldn't get in Kali. It's kinda hard finding parkerized parts too. My revolver has two shades of parkerized due to the carbon content I assume of the frame and the plate that covers the trigger guts. If I find a good 4" for it, I think nickle would be a nice treat...

Back