.357glasers oxymoronic? .38glasers v. .357glasers

old_yout

Should, heaven forbid, I ever have to fire my weapon in self defense, it will most likely be in the general direction of a fairly busy road. Because of this, I've been carrying .38 glaser blue tips for fear of tagging someone driving by. Lately, more for the boom than anything else, I've been shooting .357s at the range and I've found that I'm just as proficient with them. So, naturally, I've toyed with the idea of carrying .357s given that everyone thinks highly of their stopping power. I happened to notice that Glaser produces .357s. But aren't .357s mainly penetration oriented? Seems odd to produce this ammo in frangible form.

Given my fear of injuring an innocent, passing motorist, though keeping in mind my concern for adequate stopping power, would I be better off sticking with the .38+p glaser blue tips or might the .357 glasers be a good idea?

Use the .357s in Glaser BLUE label...

Glasers are safer the faster they go! Speed means they break up quicker. Once fully broken up, they're non-lethal or damned close to it.

I'm not at all certain that I'd trust .38spl in blue as stoppers...they might not "punch deep enough". The Glaser Blue in .357 will offer better human-target wound depth but will be, if anything, safer than the .38 version.

Another alternative is to go to Glaser Silver in .38spl. The larger pellets will drive deeper than the far-smaller blue pellets. I run two .38Spl Silvers "first at bat" in my snubbie.

But in your .357, I think .357 Blue is the answer you're looking for.

Jim

Old Yout,

I have developed great respect for Mr. Jim March; invariable, he knows what he's talking about. Therefore, it is with real reluctance that I challenge his advice.

I urge you to "think twice" regarding the use of any type of frangible ammunition. I am not quarrelling with Jim's suggestion re .357 magnum Glasser Blue, but rather with frangible ammunition of any type in a self-defense role. My concern is inconsistent penetration results, particularly against heavy, layered clothing.

Heaven forbid any of us have to use a weapon to immediately subdue a BG. By definition, that is an "in extremis" situation. Under such circumstances, can you afford risky or halfway measures?

At a minimum, I recommend you use frangibles for only the first round or two in your revolver, with .357 magnums (HydraShok, Golden Saber, etc.) as the remaining loads.

Plastic Holding SHOT!

Glasers are nothing more than shot encased in plastic. At high velocity they penetrate and the plastic falls appart so the shot/pieces go everywhere. In the winter time the Glaser can fail to penetrate winter clothing.

I'm not averse to mixing up an ammo cocktail, but in reference to the Hydrashoks: my brother and I have made a friend at the range. Let's call him Chef Boyardee, (since I'm looking at some right now). Chef Boyardee has been shooting for some time and we've had many an opportunity to witness his expertise with the various weapons he'll bring to the range. He mentioned at one point that he carried Hydrashoks in his G30 and, given what we know of Chef, my brother thought it might be a good idea to change to Hydrashoks. He bought a box and was put off by their almost counter-productive muzzleflash. I tried them and noticed, in addition to the small star that winked briefly into existence at the end of the barrel, that the recoil seemed a little more stiff, as well.
My point
.357s already have a good-sized muzzleflash and the recoil is respectable. Has anyone noticed if the Hydrashoks emphasize these qualities in the .357?

And as for winter time clothing. I live in a midsized southern city that, for all intents and purposes, has a winter that might be as long as two months. And it's almost over. The other 10 months of the year can get down right tropical, so I'm not worried about not penetrating winter clothing.

Winter clothing can indeed be an issue...

...and I too am concerned about penetration in sub-optimal calibers. In something like .380, .32ACP or similar, I'd be very hesitant about any frangible, even the larger-pellet Silver Glasers.

However, the .357 isn't a marginal caliber. If anything, it should drive them fast enough that as long as there's no "winter clothes" issue (as a Californian, something I need not spend much time worrrying about) it's perfectly suited to the Glaser concept.

As to recoil, driving a light round very fast often produces less felt recoil than driving something bigger at a slower pace, even if the ballistic energy on the "fast and light" load is higher.

If you haven't perused a standard velocity table I recommending printing out the one on the NAA website (www.naaminis.com) under the "technical info" yellow button on the left. It covers weights from 30 to 300 grains and velocity from 600fps to 1,800fps. Look at what happens when speed rises...total energy goes through the roof. An 80grain Glaser .357 doing 1,700fps from a 4" tube is pulling 514ft-lbs energy, and dumping it into the first 8" to 10" of flesh it hits. "That's GOTTA hurt." :) In comparison, a 230grain Hydrashock .45 pulling 900fps has 414ft-lbs energy. Energy alone is NOT a stopping power rating, but it does factor in.

I would personally feel well-armed with six .357 Glaser Blues on tap, in a mild climate. I could not say quite the same thing for Blues in .38spl, hence I run a pair of Silvers "first at bat" in my snubbie.

Having studied shooting reports and seen gelatin dispersion photos for the Blues, I think the "Facklerite" concern over lack of penetration is exaggerated. At least in a civilian role...for LEOs that may have to attack somebody defending cover and shoot through car doors or similar, yes, I can see the problem with frangibles, in spades. But as a civilian, I have no plans whatsoever for charging defended cover, I lack the training, tools, backup and kevlar vest to be even *thinking* about something like that. I'll find my own cover, thank you...maybe take a couple of pot-shots to keep the barsterd's head down, make him think twice about charging ME, and wait for the cops :D.

All that said, there ARE contrary opinions out there. Perhaps the best-stated is here:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs5.htm

My view is that these guys consistently underestimate the need for expansion and overestimate the need for penetration. If that were the case, we'd all use hardball. As one example of their arguments, they say that when shooting a gun-equipped opponent, there's a chance your round will strike his outstretched arm(s) and pass through 4 to 5 inches of forearm flesh before striking his torso...therefore Glasers are a bad idea. Sounds fine, except two points:

1) Hit the arm that's holding a gun with a Glaser .357 and it'll be too chewed up to shoot with...assuming you didn't blow it mostly off. Granted, if the hit is to the other arm he'll probably continue shooting one-handed but right away you've got better than 50/50 odds of a good result on an arm hit. (The odds are better than even because if he's doing a two-handed grip, sure, it's 50/50 but there's a fair chance he'll be doing one handed shooting.)

2) A JHP hitting an arm may come away from a bone hit at an odd angle and completely miss the torso behind the arm. Remember, it's spinning, when it hits something solid, God only knows where it'll go next. So either way, a "wingshot" is a crapshoot regardless.

There is NO ammo available that will stop even on a bad hit. You have to do your part. Do your part with a .357 Glaser and within it's admitted limitations, it's a perfectly good round :).

One other plus to a Glaser: there's no "upper speed limit" to their effectiveness. If your gun has a longer-than-average barrel for your caliber, with a JHP you risk having the round expand but then "shred backwards". "Longslide" .45s are known for this...another example is the old-fashioned plain-lead .38Spl hollowpoints - with no jacket, they expand OK at low snubbie velocities but shoot 'em from a 4" or 5" tube and they'll come unglued. In this sort of failure, the entire nosecone section of the round can flake off and leave a dribble of scrap metal back along the wound channel while the main projectile loses about 1/5th of it's weight and proceeds through at it's original bore diameter. At that point, you'd have been better off with hardball. In contrast, with Glasers it's a "faster is good" situation...a .357Mag carbine levergun loaded with Glaser Blues pulling 2,000fps+ from a 16.5" barrel would be absolutely devastating :).

(The new Federal E-FMJ also solves this "speed sensitivity" issue.)

My $.02

Jim

Hello,

During the question and answer portion of my LFI-I class the subject of Glaser Safety Slugs came up. Massad Ayoob confirmed that they are extremely effective. He's seen many shootings with them over the years (mostly .38 Special, 9mm Parabellum, and .357 Magnum) and felt that they deliver what they advertised.

His only reservations were that he felt the original flat point Glasers were more effective because they cut a wider swath in gelatin. Based on some testing I've seen I'm not sure I agree with this. The Glaser still seems to blow away a huge area of tissue when it meets flesh.

Personally, I would opt for the .357 Magnum version in the Blue flavor. "Gun Tests" ran some tests on the Glaser Blue in .357 Magnum and the wound profile was awesome. They also fired the Glasers through a nightmare of clothing before it entered the gelatin. The Glaser seems to only disrupt in soft tissue or on a hard surface that would adversely effect any conventional projectile (i.e., metal). I keep several rounds of the Glaser Blue in .357 Magnum, .38 Special +P, 10mm Automatic, and .45 ACP for special situations that might require them.

It never hurts to be prepared.

- Anthony

Jim March and I agree!

The first two rounds in every pistol above .380 that I load are Glaser Blues. If that doesn't work, then the BG gets the remainder in Hornady or Hydrashock or Silvertip or FMJ, depending on the gun. I've shot Glasers through a layer of heavy carpet and padding, went right through. Shot one through a 27" TV, penetrated all the way to, but not through, the back of the plastic case. Have also read accounts here at TFL by emergency room workers about the results of a hit with a Glaser. Hamburger City.

Sleep well,

Ledbetter

Back