.357 vs. .44 Special

Kentucky Rifle

I really don't think it's my imagination. But I'd like to hear some opinions.
I think that .44 Specials are "easier" on the hands than .357 Magnums. Anybody agree?

KR

Howdy KR,

It depends on the gun and the load.

My Uberti Regulator .44 SPL is easy on the hand and points nicely.

Using the same load, my old Charter Bulldog will slap you palm pretty good.

Same sort of thing when comparing my M-640 and my 4" M-696 with the same loads. The lighter gun with heavier loads is gonna be more noticable, regardless of caliber.

Heck KR, the most uncontrollable handgun I ever shot was a 4 ounce .22 Short derringer. the little sucker didn't have enough grip to hang on to and it would rotate 90 degrees with every shot.

Doc Hudson

Well, I had a Taurus 445, 44 spec., it was a blast to shoot,
I didn't have any problem with recoil,etc. with factory ammo (no +P stuff)..

Had a GP-100, and when I shot a box of 145 grain silvertips,
talk about a numb hand....I couldn't get along with the factory grip, with Pacs it would've been better...

Like Doc said, guess it depends on the size of the gun,load, grips, etc.

Mike M.

Sure. If you're talking about my 3" S&W Model 60 .357 Mag versus my 5" S&W Model 629 .44 Mag with compensator. Comparing a 4" 686 versus a 4" 629 Mountain Gun might be a different matter entirely.

M1911

Well...

...my 3" Rossi M720 is fairly pleasant to shoot with the Federal 200gr LSWC-HP's which are my favorite factory general purpose loads, but then again, I didn't really mind putting a box or two of 240gr SWC's through my Bulldog Pug at a sitting, so my opinion may not tie in too well with the mainstream.

My .357 Dan Wesson with the snubby barrel or my M13 were both snappier, but neither was "brutal" or anything. In my opinion, .357's are less than pleasant in J-frame sized guns, but I can't imagine a .44 Special of that size/weight would be any treat, either.

Shooting 44 spl out of a 6" S&W 629 is easier on me than 357 out of a 6" Python.

44 spl feels and shoots a whole lot like 45 ACP.

Custom cylinders, barrels ??

Is it possible to get custom cylinders or barrels for revolvers?

i.e. convert a S&W M-10 to a .44 Spcl?

Based on all my research into the caliber conversion subject it would be cheaper to buy a 696 44SPL or a used 24/624 than to convert a model 10. The smallest S&W to be used for the 44SPL to date is the Lframe.

REC

Depends on the gun and the load. I personally like the versatility of the .357 magnum. You can roll your own for cheap in either .38sp or .357mag.

Back