.357 Snubbie Theory

Jack19

I'm the proud owner of an almost new *&* Model 66, with a 2.5 inch barrel. And, while I've done a lot of searching I can't seem to come up with the correct combination of words to get a whole lot about ammunition selection for short barrels. And, my experience has been primarily with 9mm long barrel pistols. So, any help is appreciated.

I know that the supposed king of "stopping power" in .357Mag is supposedly the 125 JHP. But, I'm assuming that this is from a 4+ inch tube.

So, I'm wondering if sticking with 125gr rounds is best from the shorter barrel, or is a lighter/faster round like the 110gr better? Or, would it be better to use a heavier round, like the 158grainers? Or, does it even matter?

Any 357 shot out of a any length barrel is gonna hurt the BG r-e-a--l -- b-a-d!
That being said make it easy on yourself. I use Reminton's Golden Sabre 125 gr. out of my 357 snubbies. About 1250 fps. instead of the 1550 fps. A little reduced velocity for better shot placement. Easier on the hand. Try it, see if you like them. They are supposed to be made for the snubby for better control I've been told.
The 38 cal load though is full power. Only the 357 a is reduced load.:)

As a general rule, the ammo that works best in a 4" also works best in a 2"-21/2". That said, some the velocity loss (much less in some guns than in others) can be "made up" to some extent with a heavier bullet. My ported 686 2/12" shoots well with 158 gr. Fed. HS Premiums, but for wrist comfort, I carry the "white box" Win 110 gr. in my 640. Practice loads are handloads that approximate these balistics.

4thHorseman has it. The reason 125gr. GoldenSabers are only rated at 1220fps. is that is about max. velocity out of a snubbie. Shooot them out of a 9" barrel, we're talking about 1500fps.
BTW:snubbie 357 is controllable with practice. I shoot & carry 2 1/4" sp101 all the time.

I like the Cor-Bon defensive 125s. They are quite controllable in 2½ 19 and 686. I carry them and practice a little with them. I practice more with handloads that duplicate the recoil.

Sam

357 golden saber

i chrono'd remingtom 357 golden saber at 1144 avg from a 2 1/2 model 19. they are a good choice

I agree with the 125gr Medium Velocity Golden Saber out of the snubbie. This is the load I used when I used to carry a Mod 60 J frame snubby .357 mag for concealed carry. It was still pretty brisk out of a J frame, but controllable. I didn't even venture near the full power loads.

Good Shooting
RED

Ditto on 125 GS in both our 2.5" 66

I reloaded a bunch of 'em a while back & used the .38 GS rather than the same weight .357 bullet - variance in jacket thickness to accomodate for the lower velocity.

Have to agree with Walosi.

Best load for short gun is best load for long(er) gun.

By one source, the 125 grain Federal/WW load is the big daddy stopper. Recoil isn't too bad, but blast and flash is pretty impressive. (Try them at night somewhere....)

I'm pretty much a heavy bullet sort, preferring either the 158 grain SWC type or WW Silvertips - 140 grain bullet.

Most all of the full charge factory stuff is serious ammo. I'd avoid the 158 SP type, they don't expand well in smaller (humanoid) bodies. Go with a hollowpoint type.

I suggest you buy a couple types and see which ammo 1) is controllable, and 2) is accurate. Then make your own choice.

America! What a concept!

I agree with 4th Horseman. It will leave the barrel at around 1250 fps and possibly slightly more.

When I took LFI-I this exact question was posed to Massad Ayoob and he stated that the large agencies that issued the 125-grain JHP to both their line officers with 4-inch guns and their detectives with 2 1/2 inch guns saw little or now difference in the excellent stopping power. If anything the longer tube is simply more dynamic rather than more effective. To illustrate his point Ayoob had a photo of an X-ray sent to him by a past student who was a medical examiner. It was a photo of a heart floating in two almost duplicately sized pieces inside a chest cavity. A single round of Federal 125-grain JHP .357 Magnum FROM A 2 1/2 INCH BARREL had blown the heart into two pieces. Further, he stated that in all the shootings he had reviewed where a victim took a heartshot with a .357 Magnum only ONE had survived.

Stoke that S&W with Federal 125-grain JHPs and rest easy.

- Anthony

2 1/2inch .357

On short barrel lengths, I go with Elmer Keith.
Take the manufacturer's specs. list and see at what barrel length the round was tested at. Some are tested in 6 inches barrels; some are tested in 8 3/8 inch barrels.

Subtract 33 feet per second off their published velocity to get an estimated velocity.

Back