.357 snub muzzle blast

Lavan

There is an element of .357 snub revolvers that is often overlooked. In fact, quite often it is even listed as a fault. That is the muzzle blast. I have fired my 640 Smith at an indoor range and with a paper target suspended from a clip. At 5 yards or so, the whole target blows back from the blast.
Where this might seem to be a negative, I consider it to be a real friend.
Blast, heat, burning powder gases, noise, and bright light all add up to an advantage if you are the shooter and a HUGE disadvantage if you are the BG. Think about the effect of being downrange of the muzzle blast. There is the liklihood that you are going to catch the slug which is bad enough, but you are also going to get smacked with hot bright horrible noise and heat.
It gives you an edge. Return fire, if any, is going to be confused and less controlled.
I like the .357 snub muzzle blast.

That's an interesting take on things. I've never been shot at so I can't comment, but I think that muzzle flash as a whole is overstated. Will it really "blind" you at night? I haven't shot a lot after dark (just rimfire rifles), but it would seem that you'd retain at least some of your field of vision.

During World War Two British commandos used to have a mantra that went "Go in quick! Get ckose fast! Take advantage of the muzzle blast!"

Back