357 Sig vs. 9mm+P

Blue Duck357

I had just about decided on the Glock 32 in 357 Sig for my next pistol, but after doing some searches I found some chronograph data suggesting the .357 was only about 40 fps faster than the 9mm with a 10 grain heavier bullet. Other data suggest the Sig has a couple hundred FPS over the 9mm. Anybody have the real dope on both rounds out of 4 inch barrel?

Thanks for any help, Blue Duck

Standard spec for .357 Sig is 1350 FPS from a 4" barrel. Depending on the load, you may get more or less than that. Speer Gold Dots tend to be loaded pretty hot from what I've seen, and of course Cor-Bon is pretty dang fast. 9mm +P at that weight maxes out around 1220 FPS. Unless you have crap ammo .357 Sig will give you a substantial boost in power.

357 SIG ammo is faster than 'normal' 9x19 ammo, even the +P+ stuff (but not all hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!).

------------------------

"They call me Major Nine"

I think the main difference between 357 SIG and +P 9mm is in penetration. They should both expand well but some consider penetration of the +P 9mm inadequate, especially the really hot +P 9mm. Others worry that the 357 SIG could overpenetrate. So it comes down to the amount of penetration you want.

Glockdoc,

Your statement kinda doesn't make sense to me. The really fast 9mm +P doesn't penetrate enough because it's going really fast, so make it an even FASTER 9mm (.357 Sig) and it penetrates alot?

castle bravo
the sig 357 gold dot round is a lead bullet with a copper coating of a certan thickness designed for the cal. and speed as designed and the one for the 9 mm are a little thinner coating and expands too quickly at higher vel. note the gold dots are not a jacketed bullet but copper bonded and do not seperate from the core hope this helps

Back