357 shoots 9mm too?

Prof Young

So at range today, they had a gun in the case labeled 357/9mm. Katie the range lady was busy with a lot of customers so I didn't ask. My query is, if I get a "star clip" for 9mm can I shoot them out of my EAA 38spl/357?

Life is good.
Prof Young

I would venture to guess that would be a no as I believe the star / cases would protrude above the cylinder face and wouldn’t allow you to close it.

Last edited:
What kind of gun was it? If a Ruger Blackhawk, switch cylinders in minutes from .357 Magnum to 9 mm. And no clips required.

Bob WRight

Probably like Bob stated - a Blackhawk convertible supplied with both a 357 and 9mm cylinder. I owned one for while , shot ok with the 9mm but I used it mainly for 357 loads.

Yes and yes . . .

TJB - you are absolutely right. If I'd thought about it I'd have realized it.

Bob - I think you are right too. That must be what it was.

So much to learn, so much to learn.

Life is good.
Prof Young

What kind of gun was it? If a Ruger Blackhawk, switch cylinders in minutes from .357 Magnum to 9 mm. And no clips required.

Bob WRight
Minutes? I can swap out mine in less than 30 seconds.

I like the 9mm cylinder to shoot less-recoiling rounds from my Blackhawk without having .38Spl rounds fouling up my .357 cylinder.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

So at range today, they had a gun in the case labeled 357/9mm. Katie the range lady was busy with a lot of customers so I didn't ask. My query is, if I get a "star clip" for 9mm can I shoot them out of my EAA 38spl/357?

Life is good.
Prof Young
9mm cases are tapered and larger diameter at the base than .38/.357 cases and won't fit in your chambers. Moonclips are a whole nuther issue.

I like the 9mm cylinder to shoot less-recoiling rounds from my Blackhawk without having .38Spl rounds fouling up my .357 cylinder.
Well, you do know you can always download your .357 cartridges to .38 special velocities :) . I load 158g SWCs to around 1000fps out of a 5 1/2" barreled .357. No need for the 9mm cylinder which consequently doesn't get used here.

Well, you do know you can always download your .357 cartridges to .38 special velocities :) . I load 158g SWCs to around 1000fps out of a 5 1/2" barreled .357. No need for the 9mm cylinder which consequently doesn't get used here.
The purpose of the 9mm cylinder is cheap factory ammo and in the event of an alien invasion or mass reanimation of corpses, you'll have a handgun that shoots three of the most popular handgun cartridges in the world.

The best 9mm revolver is a snub revolver. Anything with a barrel 3 inches or more a .357 is better.

The purpose of the 9mm cylinder is cheap factory ammo and in the event of an alien invasion or mass reanimation of corpses, you'll have a handgun that shoots three of the most popular handgun cartridges in the world
Can't argue with that :) . So, until that time comes though, the 9mm cylinder will sit in the safe :) .

The Kimber "J frame" size 38/357 has a recessed face on the cylinder that I believe will allow the 9mm to be shot with the assistence of a ring clip.

9mm won't fit 357 chamber and if it would there is no clearence for moon clips.
I saw a article back in 70s about a guy that had 357/9mm Ruger BH and he had
several extra cylinders allowing him to use many cartridges from 380 acp to 38
Super in auto loading cartridges and several foreign ones. I think 20 some in all.

The .357 (and .38 Special) spec .379" at the case mouth and being straight cases, also .379" at the case head.

The 9mm Luger specs .391" at the case head, tapering to .380" at the mouth.

it will not fit in a standard .357 chamber.

You could make a chamber that would take both, and you also could cut the cylinder for clips to headspace the 9mm with. It can work, BUT that chamber would be .012" oversize at the case head for .357 cases. They might not split, but I'm sure they would swell a bit at the least.

Ruger Blackhawks use two different cylinders, for a good reason.

Back