.357 rounds from a short tube?

martin6

What kind of drop is there in velocity/energy when you fire a .357 round from a 2"-3" barrel? It's my understanding that the .357 was designed for 4"-6" barrels and has a slower burning powder and needs the longer tube to get up to its intended velocity. True? Is there any place on the web where I can see some ballistics tables of .357 from short barrels?

357 was originally designed around an 8" barrel.

The general guideline is 50fps per inch of barrel, one way or the other.

However the velocity difference will vary widely depending on the powder type and bullet weight used.

Last edited:
Cor-Bon and possibly others are publishing their specs based on tests from 5" barrels.

When you get into the snubbies, the velocity variations from gun to gun of the same model are wild. Testing with your own gun and a chronograph are the only way you will know for sure.

Sam

velocity drop

In general, the 6" will beat the four inche by a considerable margin using magnum type loads. In mine, the 125 grain Gold Dot wil do 1530s from a 6" GP100; 1440s from the 4". The real drop off comes when you go down to the 2.25" gp 100 which gets 1240 +- a few feet per second.

.38 special loads loose only minor velocity between the 6- 4" but the short SP drops off significantly.

Energy drops accordingly also, ...a 600 FPE magnum load from a 5" barrel will drop to around 400 FPE from a 2 1/2".....THATS ALOT!
Its pretty much the same as an average JHP 9mm from a 4" barrel.
Just for comparison.

Shoot well

Wonder if the Keith attribution is valid. The length of the long barreled .357 Magnum was 8 3/4" .......8 3/8" didn't come along for a while.

Sam

I get all my magnum revolvers with six inch or longer barrels. I only use non-magnum chamberings for shorter barrels.

Too little gain for all the flash and blast of magnums in the shorter barrels. Just as soon use heavy, slow cast SWC bullets from the 2.5", 3", and 4" tubes.

Perhaps the .44 Bulldog is the best choice for snubs? Big, heavy, slow bullet....

Back