357 out of J frames

Gunz

Which is the least painful 357 out of a 649? 110 gr, 125 gr, 158gr full magnums out of a 3in barrel? What kind of controllability can one expect?

Unfortunatly ther eis absolutely no easy answer to that.

It's different for every person for a vast variety of reasons -- grips & shape, hand size, etc.

I know people who can handle 158s out of a snubby no problem, but balk at 125 +Ps, claiming they have too much recoil. I think it's more a factor of muzzle blast making it appear to be more recoil, but that's neither here nor there.

Controlability

Not a problem. Remember not to flinch. I've got a 649 and the trigger breaks before you know it.

I shoot Georgia Arms 158 grain LSWC or JHP, which the manufacturer rates at 1200 fps.

Regards.

Last edited:
I have a 2 1/8" S & W Model 60. I shoot 110 gr. semi-jacketed hollow points out of it.

I would not describe it as punishing or painful. It's quite manageable/controllable if you have a good standing shooting stance out of a Weaver or isocoles. But, I don't like shooting it off of a bench rest. For me, it seems to move around a lot more there--probalby my poor mechanics. Second shot capability is better than I would expect. I've not shot heavier loads out of it.

RJ

Somebody mentioned a ProLoad 125grain .357 "tactical lite" meant for snubbies, with a Gold Dot bullet specially set up for milder velocities (bigger JHP cavity than normal). If I had a short .357, I'd certainly try some.

Failing that, there's always some decent .38+P around, esp. from a 3" barrel. Remington's version of the 158+P LSWC-HP is reputedly a bit hotter than the more common Winchester variant. Don't know for sure how Federal's 158+P Nyclad HP compares, but in general Federal loads stuff milder than most makers.

What we really need is for Federal to supply the 124grain 9mm E-FMJ projectile as a loading component in .355 and .357 bores, and let some smaller outfit like Georgia Arms, ProLoad, Buffalo Bore or whoever load it in standard .38Spl, .38+P and .357 power levels. And load the .355 variant in 9mm, 9mm+P and .357Sig. That projectile works across a VERY broad speed range, unlike many JHPs. It can't clog, it feeds well in slideguns, cool stuff. Expansion width is down a bit from the top JHPs but reliable expansion is unmatched and it seems to expand in as little as 1" worth of gelatin, very unusual compared to JHPs.

I'd *love* to have some in .38+P for my snubbie.

I would like some in +p and standard pressure both. It would be very hard to argue with as an all around carry load.

Do we know if anybody has talked to Federal about either loading the ammo or selling the components to a commercial reloader??

I really wish that they would load the EFMJ in a .30 Carbine .32 acp also.

IME, from lightest to heaviest recoil in .357 loadings:
1) 110gr. JHP by Win.(USA) or Remington
2) 158gr whatever
3) 125gr 'reduced vel.' Golden Sabre MAY be tied with
4) 145gr Silvertip
5) 125gr. Federal Classic and Speer Gold Dot.

I think it important to point out that there is a dramatic difference when jumping from any of 1 through 4 to those in 5. Personally, I reserve those for use in full-size revolvers only. I hope that helps.

Federal's 130 grain .357 Magnum "Personal Defense" ammo (MV = 1300, ME = 490) works fine in my new S&W Model 60 w/ 3" barrel. Big bang but recoil is very managable. :) Dennis

What about 180 grain?

IME, from lightest to heaviest recoil in .357 loadings:
1) 110gr. JHP by Win.(USA) or Remington
2) 158gr whatever
3) 125gr 'reduced vel.' Golden Sabre MAY be tied with
4) 145gr Silvertip
5) 125gr. Federal Classic and Speer Gold Dot.

Just curious, where would you rank the 180 grain "hunting" loads in .357 magnum?

I know this seems odd...

..hell, it IS odd. However, shooting .357's from a small snub just kills my hand. But, shooting my .40 caliber Glock 27 isn't a problem at all. I guess you don't know until you try it.

KR

CZ (and others)

Many of those heavy (180 grain) hunting loads (such as Federal's Cast Core) are special solid lead alloy bullets -- designed not to deform -- that provide great penetration but less expansion. That is wonderful for hunting, but I am not sure it's the optimum design for personal defense.

Many of those heavy (180 grain) hunting loads (such as Federal's Cast Core) are special solid lead alloy bullets -- designed not to deform -- that provide great penetration but less expansion. That is wonderful for hunting, but I am not sure it's the optimum design for personal defense.

Good points, but I don't use .357 magnum for defense anyway, I keep mine loaded with .38 spl +P for HD (I feel the magnums penetrate too much for suburban defense). I was just curious as to how the 180 grain recoiled, because its the logical choice to bring into the woods (ie anti-mountain lion load). Also, note that it would be shot out of a 6" barreled .357 magnum, not out of my snubby magnum.

I have shot the 180 grn cor-bon it wasn't that bad. It was all the shop had at the time in 357 so I shot 20 of them to see what it would be like. I use 38 +P for home defense.

Back