357 maximum??

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Anyone else have one?? (posted part of this in range reports)

Let me just say... wow.. awesome.. hooya! The 357 maximum is one HELL of a cartridge and that Dan Wesson is on super accurate gun. Dad was shooting 2 inch 25 yard groups with federal factory 180 grain bullets. I was shooting more like 4 inch groups (practice practice). It gets downrange so fast you don't have time to flinch. Muzzle blast is EXCESSIVE do not sit beside someone firing this beast, you will feel grit hit your face. Shooting glasses are required.. Water on the bench in front of me was vaporizing with every shot.. serious flash comes out between the cylinder and forcing cone (its properly set i assure you) Recoil is not as high as a 240 gr 44 mag, but its a LOT louder. I would absolutely take this pistol elk hunting, though I think I'd rather have a Ruger in this caliber.

Any thoughts on holsters, grips, optics etc?? If I get one I'm probably not going to scope it.

Wasn't aware they made these anymore.. something about fire erosion ;)

The ballistics for the .357 maximum do look appealing, though, if not excessive.. (Excessive? What am I saying? Hehe)

Ruger did discontinue the .357 Max chamberings due to forcing cone erosion. Dan Wesson continues to chamber guns for it, but you can replace the barrel in a Dan Wesson a lot easier and cheaper than in a Blackhawk. They haven't solved the erosion problems, just put the cartridge in a gun that is easy to fix.

Bob C. USN (Ret) NRA Patron

I wanted to buy the Ruger, but they have become very pricey. I didn't know that Dan Wesson made one. This wouldn't be something that is real high on my priority list, but I certainly would like to play with one.

Did Ruger ever make the Redhawk in .357 ? I am pretty sure that I once read that they did. I would buy one in a heartbeat. That would be the ultimate .357.

The erosion on the old Ruger Blackhawks was flame cutting of the topstrap (probably the forcing cone too, though i haven't heard that). Too much slow burning powder directed in the wrong direction. More of a design problem of the Ruger being streched to fit this cartridge than anything else, I suppose. Having interchangeable barrels won't help that, though I doubt the Dan Wesson has this problem. I secretly covet a Dan Wesson, one each in .357 Maximum and .445 Supermag.

I have both the 357SM and the 445SM and a matching .22 all stainless with 8" barrels.
All are original Dan Wessons. My 445 is one of the first stainless Elgin Gates IHMSA guns serial #ETG445S1xx I bought it new in 1990. Talk about muzzle blast it's more on the order of muzzle Concussion! it will lift the guy next to you right off his matt:)

Dr.Rob, not sure why you would rather have a Ruger? The 357SM is a pussy cat in the Dan Wesson, it also has a longer chamber for the use of heavy bullets and it does not have the problem of top strap cutting and forcing cone wear like the Ruger does.
Set your barrel gap at .002 you really should not feel any thing hitting your face, you will need to keep it clean and re-adjust the gap about every 300 rds or so, otherwise you will start getting a little cylinder drag on the barrel.
I bought mine new in 1987 and shot many matches with this gun, it's just as accurate and tight as it was in 87, work up some hand loads for it and it should make little one hole groups at 25 yds.
I have the wood Silhouette grips on both the Super Mags and Pachmayr "Gripper" on the 22. All have trigger jobs and thats it!
The top is the 445SM middle is the 357SM and the .22 on the bottom.
View

Salvo
Its always a pleasure to meet another Dan Wesson accumulator. I've been looking for one of those original .357 Maximums for a long time. Have you used it for hunting, or just target shooting?
Take Care

I just like Ruger revolvers.. ;)

Dad bought his Dan Wesson used and it DOES have some light top strap cutting, I'll pass on the measurements to him. Thanks Salvo.

We've been seeing Blackhawks in 357 max at gunshows in Denver for a few weeks, apparently there are still some NIB guns out there. I always figured Ruger had the best mettalurgy to deal with that 'fire erosion" issue.

Swamp Yankee,
Just targets, I bought the 445SM with the thought of hunting Mule Deer with it, so I touched off a round without ear protection just to see what it would be like, I do not recomend this, unless you enjoy sticking ice picks in your ears!
I don't know how people hunt with some of these handguns, I tried elec. earmuffs but wearing them was way to uncomfortable for me wile hunting.
I can handle the occasional blast from other hanguns but the Super Mags are too much for my ears.

What's in your collection? I think Dan Wessons are the finest double actions ever!

Dr.Rob, your right the Dan Wesson will get a very light cut in the top strap but that is as far as it will go.
The Rugers probably got a bad rap for this in the very beginning because of some of the powders and loads used at the time accelerated the wear to the point of unsafe top strap cutting.

Topstrap 'cutting'

can be almost avoided in Dan Wessons by tightening up on the barrel/cylinder gap to .002-.003" -- something that can't be done with a Ruger! The DW factory feeler gauge is .005" or .006", but that leads to quite a display of B/C gap 'fireworks' in the Maximums or SuperMags.! Heck, even with my 'regular' .357Mag I keep my B/C gap closed down a little tighter than factory spec.

Salvo, What? Why no .414 SuperMag? ;) I saw one once at a shop here, used, on consignment. Attractive price, too. Just too danged big for me. Those S/Ms are massive, aren't they!?!

If you really want concussion, my fun round for the 445SM is a 180grXTP behind 42gr H110. It clocks at 2000fps from an 8inch tube and creates a blast that just has to be experienced (My hot loaded 444 Timber Carbine with its little barrel and ports is a bit quieter). This round also groups like no tommorrow. When I say 1 hole for six shots at 25yrds I means it (50yrd 6shot group of .3 inchs).

If you want to go warmer, John Linebaugh will do a 5 shot conversion for the Ruger

Hmmm 414SM, that would round out the collection:)
Cougar, the Super Mags are big, kinda like a Glock 21, after a wile you get use to it.

Craig, LOL "creates a blast that just has to be experienced" it's so true, people you don't even know come up and tell you about the sensation they get every time a round goes off, as they uncontrollably flinch. Not the best pistol to make friends with at a match;)

Back