. 357 Maximum in a. 357 Magnum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagDiddy

Didn't realize I purchased 357 Maximum ammo until I was just reviewing the order. Will this work safely in a 357 magnum revolver? I have not received it yet so I am not sure it would even fit. I know magnums would work in a 357 maximum revolver, but can't find any info on the reverse situation. Thank you.

Simple answer is unfortunately no. The reasons are two fold. First, the .357 Maximum has a longer case so it's made to not fit in the .357 Magnum's chamber. The reason for that is that the .357 Maximum has a higher max pressure (40,000psi vs 35,000psi) and isn't safe to fire in a .357 Magnum weapon.

It's (way) too long (almost ⅓" too long) to fit the cylinder,
...and significantly higher pressure.

Cancel the order if you can.

NO, it WILL NOT substitute. It is too long to fit in the gun (unless you’ve got some odd gun) and it operates at a MUCH HIGHER pressure. It would be very unsafe. I haven’t seen .357MAX ammo being sold anywhere for years. Are you sure you’re getting the MAX ammo and not the MAG ammo? I shoot a lot of the MAX and I reload all of it.

Do you mind telling us where you ordered the ammo from? - I could only find 3 places making any of it a few days ago. Black Dog Ammunition, - Steinel Ammo Co, - Reed's Ammunition & Research LLC.

Don't cancel the order, put it up on your state forum or hit steelchickens.com and post it up there. It's extremely rare for factory ammo in the first place and if you found some, someone will want to get it off your hands.

Thanks everyone. Only bought a box of 20 so I'm not taking a beating. I got it at GunBroker.com and it is made by HSM. I live in MA so cannot resell. Will see if my LGS will resell for me. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone. Only bought a box of 20 so I'm not taking a beating. I got it at GunBroker.com and it is made by HSM. I live in MA so cannot resell. Will see if my LGS will resell for me. Thanks again.
OK, you can't sell them but maybe a face to face trade for a couple boxes of .357mag ammo . . . . . .

I have made shot shells from 357 maximum but yeah they won’t fit and if some how you manage to make them fit, it could cost you a gun and some fingers.

357 Maximum is to 357 Magnum as 357 Magnum is to 38 Special.

Also the 44 Mag to the 44 Special. Made longer so as not to allow it to be used in the wrong gun(s).

Also the 44 Mag to the 44 Special. Made longer so as not to allow it to be used in the wrong gun(s).
That's somewhat true but there is substantially more difference in case length between the maximum and the magnum than there is between the magnum and .38 Spl. The .38 is 1.155, the .357 Mag is 1.29 and the .357 Maximum is 1.605
That's .31" difference between the maximum and the magnum and only .135" between the magnum and the .38 Spl.
The .357 maximum was made significantly longer for greater powder capacity.

You can shoot .357 magnum in a Maximum but not vice versa, I reload both, as some say keep your order and either get a “sillioute” gun or sell it to who has one mate..stay safe.

Thewelshm

No. The .360 Dan Wesson is to the Magnum what the Magnum is to the Special; 1/8" longer and higher pressure. The Maximum is .185" longer yet and some silhouette loads operating at close to .223 levels. Maximum brass is actually longer than the cylinders of some .357 revolvers; long enough and high enough in pressure that it sees a lot of use in single-shot rifles.
A .357 Magnum single-shot Henry rechambered to Maximum is an excellent woods gun.

I've received the order and it is obvious from the size that they are way too big for the magnum. Thanks for the advice to all.

Does this help...
38to357maximum-jpg.448

You might get lucky and find a Model 1 American Derringer in that caliber.

The good news is you already have more than a lifetime supply of ammo for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back