357 marlin 1894

I have a .357 revolver and 1894 rifle, and I'm not aware of any reason why you couldn't use the same load for a rifle that you would for a revolver. I guess wadcutter bullets may not feed into the rifle. Semi wadcutter bullets feed fine in my 1894.

Generally, yes. But .38 Special wadcutters are too short to work in mine (.357 Magnum wadcutters are OK if I crimp them in the crimp groove instead of over the top), and SWC's don't feed very smooth but they'll work.

sure

And that's the way most folks do it, and the way I did it for years, but not lately.

The whole idea is two firearms with a common ammo. I went with full house 125 JHP for a while, then I went with a mid range 158 LSWC.

But full house 125 in a revolver was not really fun in extended shooting sessions. And mid range lead loads in the rifle limited what I could do w/ it as a hunting gun.

Now days I have a .357 revolver zeroed for full house 125 SD ammo, another for 158 midrange lead stuff. The Marlin stays zeroed for third load, 158 JHP, which should do fine on deer if one wanders by and I have the Marllin.

NOte that a carbine will boost .357 velocities considerably, and lighter slugs will not hold up well on larger game. The 125JHP from the carbine were terribly destructive on varmint size critters, but I'm not sure if I'd select it as a deer load.

My Speer manuals, all a bit dated, give revolver and carbine loads. I'd pick a load that was within spec for both and load up. But not any more.

I find using the same load for both a revolver and a carbine to be a compromise of sorts. The faster Unique powder does well in my revolver and the slower 2400 does better in my carbine. I've ended up favoring the carbine load and take what I get with the revolver.

Consider full-house 158 grain lead RNFP's using a mid-slow powder like AA#7 or Power Pistol. That should work well with both guns. (Blue Dot should be a good one, but I never found a good .357 load using BD)

If you're shooting cast bullets oftentimes the bore diameter of the rifle does not match that of the revolver. You'd have to size them differently. And as others have stated, loads for the handgun are not necessarily optimum for the rifle.

I thought long and hard about this before purchasing my lever gun. I have handguns in both 44 Mag and 357 Mag. I opted to go for a real rifle round for my lever gun (45-70), to take full advantage of it being a rifle. I'm happy with my decision.

I do.

For 357s I load Lyman's 358477 150gr, SWC pushed by 14.5 grs of 2400. I use that same load in my Marlin, and my Model 28 & 27 Smith's.

For 38s I load the same bullet pushed by 4.5 grns of Unique in revolvers and rifle.

Both loads work great.

For reloading, you might have to choose an overall length that suits the rifle as they are usually more picky than the revolvers.

Back