.357 Magnum Rifle Load for Hog?

Model12Win

Hello all!

I've got a .357 magnum rifle with 22" barrel. I am in the process of looking for a load for hunting hogs. I will be hunting from a stand, so no worries of charges.

I figure that a 180 grain .357 magnum load will work best for the hogs. I'm not going after monsters, but just a decent sized tasty eating hog. I figure a 180 grain .357 load from a rifle will provide enough power to do the job.

So I am wondering if this would be a good load for my purposes:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...swift-a-frame-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

This is Federal Vital Shok .357 magnum ammo loaded with a 180 grain Swift A-Frame hollow point. From my research, the Swift A-Frame is a bonded type of bullet and it's designed to hold together and not come apart on big game. It seems like just the ticket, as I haven't found many other 180 grain hollow points and when I do they're the semi-jacketed exposed lead round which I fear would expand too much and/or come apart, causing limited penetration.

So what do you all think about this load for my purposes? If not, what load would you recommend? Again, I'll be hunting with a rifle that has a 22" barrel and not a handgun. I also be shooting from a stand at ranges not more than 50-60 yards or so.

Thanks for the help everyone!

The one time I hog hunted it was with a 16 inch marlin 357 magnum. I was using the 180 grain hornady bullets. Loaded to max spec from the hornady handbook.

The load is (more than) adequate. The important thing is how it functions through your rifle. Both accuracy and function. Most things work ok, but some rifle an ammo combinations (like long heavy bullets in lever guns) sometimes have issues.

Based on the picture it should be ok, but test them through the mag tube and action before heading afield, to be sure.

I once had to disassemble a friend's Marlin because he put rounds that were too long for the rifle in the mag tube.

If it feeds and hits where you aim, you're good to go.

Who said my rifle has a mag tube?

No, I should not have any problems with that. :)

I am just wondering more about the effect on the hog. Yes, I know I will need to test for accuracy and reliability in my gun.

Who said my rifle has a mag tube?

you're right, my bad. :o

When I hear .357Mag rifle, my mind kind of defaults to lever guns with tube mags (Winchester/Marlin)

Box fed rifles generally tell you right when you load the mag if the rounds are too long. ;)

I personally hate everything to do with Federal. Some people love them. I'm not one of them. I've too many bad situations that I lost game because of Federals. End of rant. Now, I highly recommend those Buffalo Bores that someone else recommended. I also recommend Hornady loaded with the XTP bullets of the heaviest weight you can

Do you care to explain further? I've always heard mostly good things about Federal. I've shot a lot of it in my time, and haven't ever had a problem with it, but must admit I've never hunted with any Federal ammo...

But why would this particular load not work? It seems like it would do more damage on target than a hard cast bullet, but should still penetrate well with it's 180 grain bonded JHP hunting bullet. I could be totally wrong, and the Buffalo Bore or HSM "bear load" may well be the better choices, but I just need to understand as I want the maximum effectiveness on the animal to achieve the quickest, most painless kill possible.

Well, you could shoot a bone in ham with both and report back. Put some wet phone books behind and see if the heavy jhp penetrates enough.

Years ago I was doing dog drives for deer and ran out of my Winchester 00 buck. Only found some Federals at a local general store and bought 2 boxes. Later that day I had a good sized 6 point come by me at a decent trot at 30ish yds. I put a load in his neck and he didn't go down at all. Never even stumbled. He ran to the next stander and he killed him. While skinning him, we got to the neck area and found 7 pellets in his neck muscles but not any fatal areas. As in it didn't penetrate nearly enough to fatal. Since then, I haven't touched a Federal round since. Some people swear by them, I avoid them. Ago 2 weekends after that, was on another dog drive and had a big doe run by me at around 50yds. I put the bead on her neck while using Winchesters and she dropped with one shot. She was close to the same size as the buck and the Winchesters went all the way through. I was evening using the same shotgun. I know its not the same ammo but I'm not willing to take that chance on game.

Last edited:
My opinion is the Swift A-Frame bullet isn't the weak link in the chain. It's much like a Nosler partition. But the 1130 fps can be improved on. The HSM is 1200, I'm sure the BB is even higher.

This isn't a rifle round it's a pistol round. For a worst case scenario I want a bullet that will penetrate the thickest heaviest bone in the head or shoulder. Since the power is weak compared to rifles give me max penetration. Think archery wound, you're just going to poke a hole in the piggy and bleed him out. If you want more think about getting yourself a 30-06.

Maybe Federal has soft lead buckshot in their shotshells, that's good to know.

Still, what has that to do with their 357 ammo using another company's bullets?

Ive shot them with 22 mag up to 30-06 with various FMJ, HP and SP.
Pick any heavy bullet put it in the head and drop em.

Only hog I never recovered was the largest I shot (350#ish) broadside with a 30-06 at 100 yards. I only take head shots now. DRT and no tracking.

Thanks for the input gang.

So about the Buffalo Bore 180 grain hard cast load... I am worried about it poking a hole straight in, going through, and not doing so much. Sure it will penetrate well, but will it wound well? I'm looking for a round that can reach the hogs vital organs, but also lay the hurt on those organs so the hog expires hastily and he doesn't feel so much pain and so the meat won't be tainted with adrenaline.

Back