357 Magnum Powerhouse and Snubbies-K6s

My CCW is a 2.5" S&W Model 19. Although it is a .357, I fail to see the need for anything beyond .38 Special +P loads with 158gr cast HP's designed to expand at the 850fps - 950fps velocities that are obtainable with it. Just MHO.

Don

I used to carry the Remington 125gr. SJHP .357 magnum in my S&W 640. I had to get it MagNa-Ported so I could fire a qualification course. all the complaints about porting a revolver were absent on my gun.

No cup and saucer here sir you probably should reevaluate. My hands are so large they wrap around underneath, and thumbs so long they stick out past the barrel cylinder gap unless I tuck them. I would not be walking this earth right now as my Warrant Officer -- Range Officer would have put me in the ground if he caught utilizing the cup and saucer.

I put a Pachmayr Diamond Pro J Frame grip on my 2" K6S. She now handles every 357 Magnum load I have tried and does it with accuracy and some comfort.

Of course, I had to send the gun back to Kimber after approximately 350 rounds of mostly 38 Special (prior to the new grip) because the striker ad broken.....yep, was ready to turn it into a battered paper weight.

Since the fix and the Pachmayr grip I have about 1400-1500 flawless rounds through it of mostly 357 Mag and I carry it as a back up. She is loaded right now with 158 gr Underwood Semi Wadcutters.

The grip was a little larger than the original, but makes the gun a heck of a lot more accurate to go along with the recoil control.

Kimber dropped the ball, IMHO, from the git go on the original grip and not making sure that there were alternative grips available.

The Controlled Core grip (Crimson Trace)was only on their newer produced guns unless it is being offered individually in the last month ish.

I had to put some stiff foam under the back strap of the pachmayr J frame grip and the back strap of the grip does not fully reach to the top of the gun's back strap. Otherwise it has worked very well for approx 1,000 - 1,100 rounds.

No cup and saucer here sir you probably should reevaluate. My hands are so large they wrap around underneath, and thumbs so long they stick out past the barrel cylinder gap unless I tuck them. I would not be walking this earth right now as my Warrant Officer -- Range Officer would have put me in the ground if he caught utilizing the cup and saucer.

It sure looks like it the way your off hand comes off the grip. Maybe rotate your support hand so that the index finger is right under the trigger guard. I have very large hands as well and my support hand never comes loose when shooting even a 357 mag J frame Scandium revolver.

For comparison, here I am holding a Sig 365.

Attachments

• sig365g.jpg
    sig365g.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 40
Nanuk,

I totally get where you are coming from but for safety sake I do not want to build muscle memory where my finger or parts of my hand are equal to or in front of the cylinder gap. I fire things like the 454, 460 and 500 and just do not want to risk it. On a semi auto I would absolutely be comfortable. Again I do not want to build a habit into my routine for semi auto and a different one for revolver.

I can tell you that on a square butt model 65 firing the same 357Magnum's does not jump around this way or even close to it.

Back