.357 Magnum load for Universal Clays

Jim Bronson

Does anyone have a tried-and-true load for the .357 Magnum using Universal Clays under a 158 gr. JHP? Looking for a mid-range load in particular. Thanks for any help you can give.

Please forgive me. I meant to post this message under Handloads.

Last edited:
I'd like to share, but I don't shoot Jacketed bullets in .357... All my tests are with 158gr SWC. Universal worked well there, am sure the reloading manual will have some good starting points for your bullet.

Thanks Royce but that leaves me a bit confused, There's data there for Universal and for clays. I have UNIVERSAL CLAYS. Which data do I use?

You use Universal. originally there was Clays, Universal Clays and International Clays. They dropped the Clays from Universal and International to avoid the confusion you are experiencing

Hodgdon says starting load is 4.o and max is 6.2

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I've used a lot of Universal Clays in the .357 since the powder became available. Below are loads that have given excellent accuracy in several handguns.

Sierra 140-grain JHP with 8.0 grains
Remington 158-grain JHP with 7.5 grains
158-grain LSWC with 6.5 grains

All used standard Winchester primers and Federal or Remington nickel plated cases.

Please use extreme caution as these loads are at or near maximum for the propellant/bullet combinations listed. The author assumes no responsibility for damage or injury caused by those who use the information provided above

ChipMunk20,

Please read the sticky post at the top of this forum that all members are required to read before posting load data. In this instance, I have made the required insertion for you, but please take care to include it in the future.

FITASC,

That's lead data you posted. He wants JHP. Hodgdon runs the Hornady 158 grain XTP at between 5.8 and 6.3 grains.

Per the above information, Hodgdon has, indeed, dropped the two-word name for Universal and now just has a small banner underneath the name that says "Clays Technology", meaning it is part of the same family of powders as Clays.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I have some plated 158 grainers coming from Berry's I'll start with 5.5 grains of Universal Clays and work my way up til I can SAFELY get 1150 to 1200 fps.

No, he has UNIVERSAL. See the previous posts. His container says "Universal Clays". This is how it used to be labeled, so it's an old container. For that matter, International used to be labeled "International Clays", The modern containers are labeled "Universal" or "International" with a banner underneath that says "Clays Technology". This was an intentional name change by Hodgdon done precisely because of the confusion it caused.

Boy.... This is getting worse & worse.
Can the OP post a pic of the Powder container?
(BTW: UN is correct as posted descriptive label. OP Cit post corrected)

I have an 8# jug of Universal I use for 20 gauge, 45, 9mm, and 38. It stopped being called Universal Clays a long time ago

Jet,

works well in 20 gauge
Unfortunately the only shotgun I own is my old 16ga double barrel which I haven’t shot in probably 30+ years. I keep it mainly for sentimental reasons. It was the first gun I bought with my own money when I was 16 years old. I paid $35.00 for it along with three boxes of shells. Back when I still hunted I shot a ton of partridge, grouse, pheasant, ducks, geese, and jack rabbits with the old beater.

Back