.357 magnum info

Trying to identify a .357 magnum I have inherited and was hoping someone here could help me out.
.357 magnum
5" barrel
S 123XXX (serial Number)
Still have the original gold color smith and Wesson box as well

271.jpg

The picture on the site listed above looks nearly identical to both the gun and the box.

If there is anything else I should provide let me know.

Thanks.

.357 magnum info

Actually that is a pre model 27. It was simply called the 357 Magnum. S&W did not begin using model numbers until 1957. Your serial number dates it to mid 50's. Serial numbers ran from S103000 in 1954 to S139999 in 1955.

Also, that is either a 6" or 6.5" barrel. It is measured from the face of the cylinder to the end of the muzzle.

Jim

Outstanding information. Thank you guys. The picture above isn't actually the gun I have but is nearly identical. Mine is a 5" barrel and unfortunately is in nowhere near as nice of condition. If I can get it done today I will take a photo and post what I actually have.

I will try and get a photo or two on here. Where would I go to get an idea of value as well?
Thank you.

Go onto a site like gunbroker com and have a look at what others sell for. Have a look for ones that seem in the same condition as yours.

Your gun is model which follows on the so called registered magnum, which is arguably the best revolvers S&W ever made. Pre 27s are very very good revolvers.

Back