.357 Mag Defensive Carry Loads

MSPHUNTER

What do you think the best .357 Mag Defensive Carry Loads are? Why? Are there any websites dedicated to .357 Mag load selection?

This topic has been covered in a bit of detail here. Numerous opinions and info available. A question if I may, what kind of revolver are you looking at carrying?

All of the 125 grain JHP +P loads as made by most major
maufacturer's perform rather well, in most revolver's.
Of course barrel length is important to the overall success
of any handgun round. With that said, I prefer Federal's
125 grain JHP Hydra-Shok's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

IMHO, the 125gr JHP happens to be the king of the JHP loads for revolvers having a barrel length of 4" or greater
when defense is the primary carry purpose .

For snub-nose revolvers, I tend to prefer the milder 125gr Remington Golden Saber.

Do a search and you'll find all kinds of opinions.

For defence I like the Cor-Bon 125gr .357mag defensive loads. Easy on the night vision, moderate recoil, good bullet performance.

Sam

Currently in my Ruger KGP-141 I am using Federal 125gr Classic HiShoks. If you want something with milder recoil, try the Remington 110gr SJHP.

A plug for Georgia Arms

I use Georgia Arms superb 125 gr SJHP's in my snubby. They're rated at 1,400 FPS out of a 4" barrel but perform admirably in my 2" revolver. I pay approximately $10 for a bag of fifty. I've seen test results on the SJHP's and they really mushroom out wide.
Buy Georgia Arms through their website at: www:georgia-arms.com

For the "K" frames and larger, either a 125 or a 158 hollow point, dpending on where I'm going, and what is most accurate in a particular revolver.

For the five shot guns, I prefer the W/W USA 110 hollow points with their lighter recoil and blast.

OH STOP

Gimme a break; bullets made of dust? LOL

The effectiveness of the 125g JHP from a 357 Magnum is not arguable. It has demonstrated itself for many years.

MSP, I carry a Smith 66, w/ a 2.5" barrel, once in awhile and am pleased with R-P's 110grain and 125 grain .357s. I was at a firearms "orientation" of sorts over the weekend which included the requirement to qualify with what was on your hip. I was the only revolver there and the .357 scared some of the lo-cal shooters. ;) lol

Joining MSP are ya? :D :D :D

Back