357 mag black powder starting point

stubbicatt

OK. I'm going to give it a try. I was able to locate 100 mixed empties for the experiment, as I don't anticipate picking them up after. I'm going to load Goex 3f and 160 grain boolits in 357 mag cases.

About how much compression should I look for? Thought I would try maybe .15" to start with. Not quite 2/10ths of an inch.

I just have to try black in my Uberti 1873 replica.

But before I do this, I thought I'd find out what worked for you guys?

Regards,
Stubb

PS, I wonder how many rounds down the tube before foul-out? I reckon I'll wipe the barrel every 10 or 20 shots or so.

I haven't tried using BP in any of my brass cases loads. I know that when I was shooting it in the muzzle stuffers that I rammed the round or maxi ball down pretty snugly using the ram rod though.

I see you know it has to be compressed, but not overly so as to crumble the powder. How much I really couldn't say. ou might ask over on Castboolit's, there are a lot who run BP in their 45 Colts, and I don't see where the compression would be much if any different.

I know several people who load with black powder in the SASS "Frontier Cartridge" category. Those who shoot .38 caliber are using .38 Special cases or even the smaller .38 Short Colt cases.

No idea what charge the longer .357 case would hold. I'm sure someone can tell you.

In a typical monthly match a shooter will put 60 rifle rounds downrange. Most of the folks I know are not cleaning the rifle between stages. Some with spritz some Moose Milk or other cleaner on the carrier if it begins to gum up.

Back