.357 MAG Ammo Question

Charlie B.

Inactive
A year ago I switched my nightstand gun from a GP100, 4 inch barrel to a 1911 .45ACP only because I could re-acquire target faster. Since then I have been doing a little reading on the .357 MAG med. vel. 125 gr. Remington. It appears to me that the reduction of appx. 160 fpe would greatly reduce the recoil. The ballistic information which I have "read" are terrific ( 1220 fps/413
fpe / penet. 15.5 bare gel / crush
cavity 6.85 / recovered diam..75 )

Am I missing something or should this be a top rated defense load? I would like to go back to my GP100 as I really love the gun.

Hi, Charlie,

Either gun is fully capable of dealing with a home defense situation. In fact, a hot .357 load presents more over-penetration problems than either the .45 or the 125 gr. load you mention (which is actually about the same as a warm .38 Special). But do not base a decision on reading. Spring for a box or two of the Remington ammo and see what it does.

Jim

.357 vs .45acp

Stick with the .45 auto. The bigger slug, especially in a bullet design like the Glaser or Silvertips makes a bigger hole for more reliable knock down. A warm .38 is not high on Evan Marshall's list. In reality you should use what you're comforable with and shoot well in a stressful situation. If the Ruger suits you better, fine. Remember, the first first rule in a gunfight is: Have a gun!

I roll my own reduced .357magnums to avoid over penetration in the home. Remember that there could be something or someone on the other side of the wall.
Happy Handgunning..........

Compare:
.357 1220ft/sec 125grain
.355 1226ft/sec 124grain

The .355 load is a 124g +P 9mm fired from a 4.9 inch barrel.

I do not have a chronograph (yet). I assumed 50fps gain per 1 inch of barrel and started with Remington's published 1180fps 9mm+P load.

Guys:

Isn't it the case that with hollow points the higher the velocity the quicker the bullet expands and thus the shallower the penetration? On this reasoning a relatively light 125-130 grain bullet would be more prone to under penetrate if driven at extremely high velocoities. What's wrong with this?

I'm asking, not arguing.

Take Care!

Hobbes,

I am not an expert, however, I believe your logic is sound:
> Expansion is enhanced by velocity with most first-rate, proven HP designs (Golden Saber, HydraShok, etc.)
> As the bullet expand, drag increases and penetration is reduced
> However, if a round has sufficient initial velocity, it can both optimally expand AND penetrate the 14+ inches some feel is most desirable

Therefore, for example, a 158 grain .357 magnum HydraShok -- with 1240 FPS muzzle velocity from a four inch barrel -- is likely to have more than sufficient speed/energy to both expand and to penetrate (in fact, over-penetration and carry-through may be the real concern).

Hope this helps.

Hobbes... I'm right with you on that one. Studies (other than Marshall, which supports this as well) have shown that hollowpoints fired from shorter barrels expand less and indeed penetrate more. Thus, at lower speeds, the data supports the fact that the lighter bullets will not "put on the breaks" as much. At breakneck .357 Magnum speeds, even underpenetration has been seen, believe it or not, due to extreme bullet fragmentation. Obviously no knock on the .357, because we know it will put a man down VERY fast.

BUT, if the round was a SWC, FMJ, etc. that isn't designed to expand (slightly deform, maybe, expand no) OR the hollowpoint is filled or fails to expand, my money would be that the faster bullet would penetrate further. You can probably see this in the 158gr SWC .38 special vs the .357 Magnum or the 240gr SWC in .44 Special vs. the .44 Magnum. In both cases, I would think that the nonexpanding bullet would penetrate much deeper at Magnum velocities. Just my thoughts...

Appreciate the input, but I feel that I must have misstated my question.My point is that this medium vel. .357MAG has impressive figures which surpass (except S&M OSS%) the figures of the vaunted 125gr. full load .357MAG offerings. I personally feel that no one has proven to me that any thing other than penetration, permanent crush cavity size and recovered diameter of the bullet play any significant role in wound incapacitation. This round exhibits the characteristics of a good .45ACP round and the reduced velocity and energy make this a much better round, as a result of the reduced recoil for target re-acquisition and flash factor than the full load .357MAG's. If there is something lapse in my thinking please point it out.

Thanks
Charlie

Question?...most of you were referring to a 4"or6" barrel. I have a 357mag with a 2 1/2" barrel. What is the suggestion for that gun. Thanks.

I still have a 686+ 6" and two spare speedloaders. Having touched off 110gr 357 indoors WITH muffs AND plugs on, I am not eager to try that again. I imagine that 140-158gr ammo WITHOUT hearing protection would be lound enough to disorient me...or am I wrong about that?

(Current house gun is 30 carbine...I found that I can handle it better than anything else that I have...but pistols are handier yet)

Back