357 Mag 125 grain hytec gold cast load data

Chuck Norris

I just bought a 357 mag and am starting to load for it but am not finding any loads for coated bullets,how fast can you push coated bullets before having leading concerns?

I am looking for a middle of the road target load,but the only loads I could find were sub sonic cast bullet data.

The bullets I have are 125 grain hytec gold coated TC,the powders I have on hand are tight group,true blue,unique and hp 38.

As a general rule I start at mid level cast loads and max out at mid level for jacketed. This is using bullets with similar profiles. I usually find the best loads right around max cast or jacketed starting level. Of the powders you’ve listed I’d suggest HP38 for better case fill. Titegroup works great but it’s such small charges it’s easy to double charge and not catch it, been there done that and it cost me my best .357 even after shooting thousands of rounds using Titegroup, and over 30 years of experience. Titegroup also burns quite hot and can be tough on Hitec coated bullets, I noticed a slight smell like burnt electrical wiring when using it. They even shut down the indoor range because they thought they were smelling an electrical short.

Thanks,just made 30 rounds using tight group 6.0 grains to test.
trying to use up a pound I had on the back of the shelf,charging one case at a time then seating the bullet.

Use the data for Cast Lead bullets ... in fact , Coated bullets are lead and the coating is the bullet "lube" . Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition has data .

I load a cast 124 gr. TC - GC bullet , that I cast myself, with Unique powder , in 357 magnum cases with standard pistol primer (data from Lyman #4)

starting load - 7.2 grs. Unique @ 1134 fps

mid range load - 8.3 grs. Unique @ 1308 fps

maximum load - 9.4 grs. Unique @ 1482 fps

In this application , Unique works quite well , burns clean and is accurate , if you have Unique ... try it !

I find 7.5 grs to 8.5 grs of Unique with the 120 -125 gr. cast TC bullet to be the "Sweet Spot" range for my 357 magnums .
Good Luck & Load Safe
Gary

I loaded 158g hi-tek coated loads in 38pl at around 900-1000fps with no issues. I loaded hi-tek coated in 9mm up to1250fps and got heavy leading very fast. Personally Id stick to subsonic type loads. YMMV

I just bought a 357 mag and am starting to load for it but am not finding any loads for coated bullets,how fast can you push coated bullets before having leading concerns?

I am looking for a middle of the road target load,but the only loads I could find were sub sonic cast bullet data.

The bullets I have are 125 grain hytec gold coated TC,the powders I have on hand are tight group,true blue,unique and hp 38.
Just thought I'd point out something about leading - there is leading close to the chamber and leading close to the muzzle. Hitek coating works pretty good at eliminating the first but not so good with the second. Hitek is a "better mousetrap" imo but it isn't perfect and it isn't a substitute for proper bullet fit.

Back