.357 Loads for New Henry

fishhead1

Just ordered a new Henry in .357 Mag from my LGS. It is a single shot, so don't have to worry about it feeding properly etc. Question is, are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of in making loads for this? For instants, my Hornady manual (8th Edition, not the latest) includes loads for lead SWC bullets, while my Speer manual (#14 also not the latest) does not. So, will barrel leading be a prob with SWC's; or should I stay in the lighter load ranges to avoid leading problems. Comments on this, as well as other things to be aware of, would be appreciated.

How much experience have you had loading lead bullets in the 357 Magnum ?
Revolver or lever action rifle experience ?
Barrel leading can be a problem , many factors can cause leading . Bullet size and lubricant are very important as are gas check designed bullets .
Powder coated and plated bullets are now available and can be used to avoid leading problems .
I like a gas checked cast lead bullet , sized properly and lubed with a Lithium-Beeswax lube in rifles . But there are many ways to get good results .
Slug your rifles barrel first , size is important and will need to be known .

I have always wanted a 1860 Henry lever action but the Single Shot would probably be more practical ... that's a very nice looking rifle you have coming !

I've been reloading and casting bullets for the 357 Magnum since 1968 so I can help with some loads that have worked for me .
Gary

I've been loading them for a long time, as well. There are things to be aware of. If you are using H110/296 or the new Alliant Power-pro 300MP, these slow spherical powders require good start pressure and are probably most easily left to a jacketed bullet with a very firm crimp applied. You can use them with very hard cast bullets, like the Beartooth Bullets products, but because of the need for high start pressure, you want to use even those bullets at the heavy end of the weight range with them. Other powders, like 2400, are more forgiving and will still get you into the magnum range and are a better choices for warm lead bullet loads.

Gary's suggestion to slug the barrel is a good one for two reasons. One is an exact determination of the groove diameter of your bore, as your lead bullets should be one to two thousandths over that diameter for best accuracy. The other is a chance to feel the condition of the bore with your cleaning rod. You are feeling for constrictions, particularly under a dovetail cut in the barrel for sights or for front stock anchoring. Those have to be lapped out for best lead bullet accuracy and to minimize leading. I always run a pure lead slug from the muzzle and then another from the breech end. If the bore has any taper, they can feel quite different. If you need to lap, either firelapping or, if you know how, hand lapping will address it. Just be aware you will have to slug again to check the final diameter you arrive at to choose the right bullet diameters. Going to coated bullets or gas-checked bullets or plated bullets will all work if your bore is in good condition.

Anything from bunny fart loads (TG, 700x) with plated and coated 125 and 158.... to magnum rounds with 2400, H110 and others, the rifle is a champ. Your gonna love it. Single shot, awesome... thinking of getting one in a 45/70. Enjoy

Lil'Gun powder works well in lever action guns (mine being a Marlin) and produce safe pressures at maximum load with good velocity and good accuracy. Only complaint is it burn a little hot, but then who shoot more than 3 shots at a buck?

"...will barrel leading be a prob..." Not if you follow your manual and only use cast bullet data. Leading is caused by trying to drive cast bullets too fast. If the data in manuals did that, there'd be all kinds of screaming about it.

Leading is caused by trying to drive cast bullets too fas
Should read 'driving a soft cast bullet to fast' ... Match the bullet hardness to the pressure and you should be fine.

Back