357 load with a 9 millimeter bullet

Joh

357 case with cci 500 primer. 12.0 gr. 540 or hs6 power. Horndy 90 gr . Hp. O.a.l.is1.590 . You have to use a 9 millimeter dies on the case and seating the bullet. Very fast and well do alot of damage to what every you hit.

They make 110g bullet in .357 diameter. Using an undersized bullet, (9mm is typically .355 with some plated and cast being at .356) you will have a lot of blow by on the bullet coming out of the cylinder and poor rifling engagement and most likely poor accuracy. Most 9mm bullets don't have a crimp groove and can only take a moderate taper crimp rather than a firm roll crimp reducing performance. While an interesting project I suspect not a particularly useful one.

out of a 6in revolver I have pushed 110g .357 SJHP up to 1583fps. and I honestly feel that that is too light of a bullet for those kinds of speeds.

Last edited:
I ordered 98gr powder coated bullets for .380, but had them sized to .358, instead of normal .355.

The are a blast, literally. Good accuracy and loaded down to 750 fps, shoot like a .22.
Loaded up to 1500 fps, they are Dillo grenades and will turn a coyote wrong side out.

.356 and smaller don't shoot good in my Blackhawk.

I ordered 98gr powder coated bullets for .380, but had them sized to .358, instead of normal .355.

The are a blast, literally. Good accuracy and loaded down to 750 fps, shoot like a .22.
Loaded up to 1500 fps, they are Dillo grenades and will turn a coyote wrong side out.

.356 and smaller don't shoot good in my Blackhawk.
Gas checked? If not, any leading problems at the high velocities?

Very fast and well do alot of damage to what every you hit.

IF you hit it...:rolleyes:

Some .357 guns will shoot 9mm bullets tolerably well, some will not.

out of a 6in revolver I have pushed 110g .357 SJHP up to 1583fps. and I honestly feel that that is too light of a bullet for those kinds of speeds.

its not the weight that is the problem, its the construction. Commercial expanding type bullets are built to work inside a certain speed range with an upper and lower end. Too slow, they don't open up. Too fast and expansion becomes almost explosive.

Out of a 6' revolver I have clocked a 125gr JHP load at 1620fps (from a S&W M 19) and 1670fps from a 6" Model 28. Same load went 1720fps from a 6" Desert Eagle. Too fast for the bullet to perform as expected, absolutely in the "grenade" category.

HOWEVER, a bullet specifically designed for those speeds would do fine. And, a 90gr bullet, designed for that speed would be fine as well. You won't find one as an "off the shelf" item, but if there was demand ($) they could be made.

I ran 90 grain bullets in my 9x25 Dillon, for funsies, since I heard that they used to go that back in the cartridges short hay day. I think I ended up at either 20 or 22 grains h110. I wish I had chronoed them, because I'm sure they were hauling. Quite the blast, literally, especially though a big compensator

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Many years ago I got a killer deal on some 9mm bullets and the bore slugged out to .356 on S&W model 19 I had at the time. So I figured I'd give them a try. I had to use a 9mm case expander but I used .357 mag dies to seat and crimp them.

They shot OK but I never got that good a deal on them again so that was the end of that experiment for me.

Tony

If you can even get the bullet to hit where the sights point. Most revolvers have a significant difference in point of impact. However it can be fun loading up some pumpkin busters this time of year.

Now if you really want to talk about pumpkin busting, try a 110g hollow point bullet designed for the .30 carbine out of a .30-06... Even with a minimal published load of 4895 they tend to explode on impact. There was a time that I used to look forward to the day after Halloween to go pumpkin shooting.

Back to the original discussion... When I loaded 9mm bullets in a .357 mag, they shot pretty close to point of aim out of the model 19 S&W I had back then. I really miss that gun.

Tony

Back