357 Lever Action

Blue Heeler

Good evening gentlemen.
I want to buy a .357 lever rifle---I am a pistol shooter and intend to shoot the same ammo in the rifle.
I would like your advice about which gun to buy--it will be for a freestanding match over
50 yards--any ideas on value,accuracy etc.would be appreciated.
Someone suggested a Marlin because it is easy to clean--someone else said "get Stainless"---I just don't know.

I would recommend the Marlin. I have an 1894 model in .357 and love it. It's lightweight, about 6 lbs., easy to clean and accurate.

I have a Marlin, but I'm biased. Some folks love their Winchesters and others are hot for the Rossi. This topic does come up every now and then in the CAS forum.

OK, it is not "top drawer", but I have the Rossi .357 carbine and love it. It shoots straight, and is a lot of fun. I have had this since the early 80s, so I cannot comment on current quality, but I really like mine. And yes, the action is still a bit stiff compared to a Marlin or Winchester.

My vote goes for the Marlin. I have two .41 MAG and one .357 MAG. They with the matching revlvers will be the last guns I would part with.

Cheers,

ts

------------------

Marlin. I have an 1894 in .41 Mag., and would not get rid of it either. Several friends have the Marlin in .357 and love them. Go with the marlin, I suggest. J.B.

My .357 Rossi carbine (shorty) is easy to shoot well to over 100 yds. Make it even better with a williams peep sight. The rossi's are on the 1892 design.

Thanks for the advice--I even got a post from
a non TFL shooter,which was most helpful-thanks Brian.I've found two possibilities-in
Queensland,especially where I am,thats pretty
good.One is a Marlin NIB at $US 420 and an as
new Rossi "Puma" at $US 300.
The Puma looks prettier than the Marlin to me
but I'll try them both.

You're in Oz? I didn't think you were allowed to own guns there!

I have had a Rossi 1892 for 6-7 years and it is not the smoothest action but it is/was inexpensive and it goes bang and doesn't jam. Plus it doesn't have the new and unnecessary crossbolt safety. If only it didn't have that little gold pussycat on the side of the receiver . . .

Back