.357 in a long barrel

Uncle Rick

Inactive
I have paid for all my equipment and supplies, though they haven't all arrived. Here's my question:

In researching loads for the .357 magnum, I decided I want to duplicate Elmer Keith's original, including his SWC bullet, but in hollow point. I will use H110 rather than 2400, because that seems to be a good modern replacement, and I could get a pound of it locally.

However, Keith's passion was hunting four-legged mammals with a revolver, so his loads were developed to deliver maximum performance out of a 6" barrel. While the next gun on my purchase list is a Ruger GP100 with a 4.2" barrel, the gun I have now is a Marlin 1894 CB, which has a 20" barrel. It seems to me that a slower burning powder would push that lead out of the muzzle at higher speeds than the H110.

​​​​​​​Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Welcome to the forurm.

A slower powder would give you more velocity if you could fit enough into the case to reach the same peak pressure and still produce a greater total volume of gas, but that will be challenging. H110 is already pretty close to the best compromise between burn rate and energy density and bulk density in the 357. Just checking commercial loads for maximum velocities at the same barrel length will tell you which powders can produce the best velocities. Powders not in the tables don't usually work well enough for people to get excited about them, though you do need to check several sources of data to confirm that. Simply using a lower burn rate than is normal for the cartridge usually results in low peak pressures, even with the load compressed, and a lot of unburned powder thrown away at the muzzle.

Right. I bet a maximum load of H110 is mighty near a case full, no room for anything slower. I got better accuracy with 4227 but velocity was less and the unburnt powder leaves some reloaders in tears.

For more velocity out of a 20" lever action the solution is .35 Remington.

I looked at the reloading data for both rifle and handgun in 357 Magnum , in a couple of loading manuals .
From what I see H110 is the best choice ... in both rifle and handgun and they usually show the same max. charges ... the 20" rifle barrel just develops more velocity than the 6"or 8" pistol barrel does .
I can't see a better powder than H110 for both .
I was thinking maybe Accurate #9 ... but I don't see any improvement over H110 .
Gary

I looked at the reloading data for both rifle and handgun in 357 Magnum , in a couple of loading manuals .
From what I see H110 is the best choice ... in both rifle and handgun and they usually show the same max. charges ... the 20" rifle barrel just develops more velocity than the 6"or 8" pistol barrel does .
I can't see a better powder than H110 for both .
I was thinking maybe Accurate #9 ... but I don't see any improvement over H110 .
Gary
I would love to know what the loading data are that you found. The manual I have does not include H110, though I recall seeing elsewhere that maximum loads are around 14 to 15 grains. Am I remembering that right?

Unless crimped over the front shoulder of the bullet, the 358429 would be too long to feed through your Marlin carbine. For the Marlin, 38 special brass would be better with that bullet with powder reduced appropriately.
With plain base cast bullets 2400 will offer less leading and generally better accuracy over H110. With jacketed and gas checked loads H110 works well.

One reason you are not finding H110 or 296 (same powder, different branding) loads is that you are looking at a cast bullet. These take less force to push into the forcing cone and to engrave with the rifling than a jacketed bullet does, so the start pressure is lower and H110/296 generally needs good start pressure to sustain burning. Without it, there is more danger of it squibbing out (extinguishing) and leaving a bullet stuck in the barrel that then acts as an obstruction to the next round. That combination can bulge or even burst a barrel. With cast bullets, instead of a powder that lives on the edge even with jacketed bullets, you would do much better to find some 2400.

One reason you are not finding H110 or 296 (same powder, different branding) loads is that you are looking at a cast bullet. These take less force to push into the forcing cone and to engrave with the rifling than a jacketed bullet does, so the start pressure is lower and H110/296 generally needs good start pressure to sustain burning. Without it, there is more danger of it squibbing out (extinguishing) and leaving a bullet stuck in the barrel that then acts as an obstruction to the next round. That combination can bulge or even burst a barrel. With cast bullets, instead of a powder that lives on the edge even with jacketed bullets, you would do much better to find some 2400.
Thanks for that information. I will surely try some 2400 in the future.

Unless crimped over the front shoulder of the bullet, the 358429 would be too long to feed through your Marlin carbine. For the Marlin, 38 special brass would be better with that bullet with powder reduced appropriately.
With plain base cast bullets 2400 will offer less leading and generally better accuracy over H110. With jacketed and gas checked loads H110 works well.
Yikes! I'll have to check that out before forging ahead. Thanks for that. I will post what I learn here.

I now have everything except the priming tool and the bullets. Oh, and the bench, which I will build from a Home Depot run. I was picking up the supplies today, but their panel saw is Tango-Uniform, so I came home empty-handed.

UncleNick said:
H110 is already pretty close to the best compromise between
burn rate and energy density and bulk density in the 357.
Quickload for a 20" barrel/158gr Jacketed maxes out near duplicatively w/ Lil'Gun/H110/296 & Norma 123 --- and totally-full cases/max pressure.

Get whichever you can, as all 4 (really only 3) powders give roughly the same performance.
(Lil'Gun has maybe a 1.5% advantage, but burns much hotter)

I use only 2400 in .357 magnum. And I load heavy, I'm sure SAAMI would not approve, but I don't give a rodent's posterior what SAAMI thinks, I load for my guns not national sales.

I don't have any .357s with barrels under 6" any more, and no K frames or lighter. S&W N frames, Ruger (new model) Blackhawk, T/C Contender, Marlin 1894 carbine and Desert Eagle and Coonan semi autos.

Lever guns are picky about swc bullets, and overall length. Unless the action is worked smoothly and at the speed it "likes" a SWC bullet's "edge" can hang up on the edge of the chamber. If the round bounces on the carrier this can happen.

In my carbine, I run jacketed .357 loads for serious use, and lead SWC .38 special loads for plinking. I use SWC .38s because that's what I have a lot of loaded. If I were concerned with consistent smooth feeding (for speed shooting) I wouldn't run SWC in a lever gun, I'd use a round nose profile bullet.

If I were looking to duplicate Keith's load I'd use 2400 powder, that's what he used, it works well and isn't as sensitive as H110.

I use only 2400 in .357 magnum. And I load heavy, I'm sure SAAMI would not approve, but I don't give a rodent's posterior what SAAMI thinks, I load for my guns not national sales.

I don't have any .357s with barrels under 6" any more, and no K frames or lighter. S&W N frames, Ruger (new model) Blackhawk, T/C Contender, Marlin 1894 carbine and Desert Eagle and Coonan semi autos.

Lever guns are picky about swc bullets, and overall length. Unless the action is worked smoothly and at the speed it "likes" a SWC bullet's "edge" can hang up on the edge of the chamber. If the round bounces on the carrier this can happen.

In my carbine, I run jacketed .357 loads for serious use, and lead SWC .38 special loads for plinking. I use SWC .38s because that's what I have a lot of loaded. If I were concerned with consistent smooth feeding (for speed shooting) I wouldn't run SWC in a lever gun, I'd use a round nose profile bullet.

If I were looking to duplicate Keith's load I'd use 2400 powder, that's what he used, it works well and isn't as sensitive as H110.
Thanks for that. Speaking of SAAMI, when looking for brass, I came across a site that claims its brass is "once-fire", which implies that it all started as factory loads, though it ain't necessarily so. Here's the photo on their site. Tell me if you don't think that four of these show signs of over-pressure. The one in the center doesn't, but how did those scrape marks on the primer get there? And the one to its left looks like it has been sand-blasted.

357-magnum-fired-brass-250-count-free-tumble-cleaning.html

Yes, those are the more common style of SWC that is a modified design for carbines and some revolvers. As noted above, some lever gun don't like SWC at all. Most of mine fed SWC in magnum brass, but were iffy when using special cases.
A cone shape flat point would be a safer bet in a lever gun.

Back