.357 for Survival Kit

dkochan

I have been putting together some grab n' go 72 hour survival kits. I am looking to purchase a stainless steel .357 magnum revolver in like-new or new condition for about $300. What options are available? What do you think of the Taurus Model 65 or the Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel?

A used *&* mdl 66 or Ruger security six will fit your price range and you'll need the 4" barrel & adj sights if your shooting 357mag ammo.

Semper Fi

dkochan...

Any of the revolvers mentioned would be good choices. However, you may want to take a look at what you feel your most pressing need will be in a firearm for a 72 hr go bag. Since this is a very short term bag, you are probably more interested in an easily concealable firearm which would point towards the Ruger SP101 IMHO. I have one and it is a nice piece.

The S&W M66 (and all Smith K-frames for that matter) is one of my favorites but it is a little harder to conceal, and would be more suitable towards a slightly longer and perhaps more open carry.

For a quick and short-term response the Ruger should be quite adequate.

Of your original two I would go with the SP101 over the Taurus simply because i have seen some Taurus QC problems lately and am a little spooked by them.

Personaly, I would go with a used 3" S&W 65 or a 2.5" S&W 66. Easier to shoot than the SP101, not much harder to conceal, and gives you one more shot. These are basically the same size and weight as the Taurus 65, so if you are comfortable with the fit and finish on it, go for that. You might also look at a Taurus 617, 7 shots of .357 mag in roughly the same sized gun.

I would also suggest that you consider a decent .22lr to add to your kit as well. You may find in a survival situation that there are things that you will want to shoot without making as much noise and fuss about it as the .357mag would.

I feel that a longer length barrel would do better, at least a 4" and preferable a 6" barrel.

Seriously consider that a Survival Kit may be all you will have access to again, for an unknown amount of time, including SHTF scenarios. How can you guarantee that you will only need this for 72 hours and that you will be able to get to your safe house?
Maybe your home/farm/land got blown away in a tornado/earthquake/explosion or whatever. If things got really bad, a snubby just does not have the same accuracy & intimidation factor as a full size.

I do agree that a .22LR would make a good addition for small game hunting.

My suggestion in the taurus line would be the tracker, in either 4 or 6 SS it has 7 shots and a mid sized frame with a ported barrel.

You can get speed loaders and a cheap nylon carry holster. mine shoots 158 gr LSWC to the same point of aim as my 158 gr JHP.

Greeting's All,

I concur with sgtmaj13's opinions, as a used
S&W 66 or a Ruger Security-Six with a 4"
barrel would suit your need's. One more
suggestion before I go; how about a used
S&W 686 with 4" tube?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Ruger GP-100 (either blue or stainless) in 3, 4, or 6 inch barrel length is ideal. GP-100s are probably the most reliable and durable .357 available, with excellent quality, accuracy, design simplicity, and "bank vault" ruggedness.

The other revolvers mentioned are excellent -- no question about it -- but a SHTF situation by definition demands the utmost in reliability and endurance . . . that's the GP-100's competitive forte.

In addition, GP-100s meet you price range and you can opt for the three inch barrel (better concealment), the four inch barrel (best all around utility), or the six inch barrel (increased accuracy and velocity, perfect for .357 hunting).

FYI-

Federal Arms Corp was selling police trade-in stainless S&W 681's (look similar to the 686 but this non-adj sights) in NRA very-good condition for around $160, they might still be doing so. The ones I saw featured 4" barrels.

Back