.357 enough for deer???

270 shooter

Inactive
I'm new to this site so bare with me. I thought about hunting Whitetails with a handgun this year and I only have a S&W model 19 6" barrel in .357. Is this enough gun? Some local guys say the .357 is fine but only out of a Thompson Encore or Contender since there is little to no loss of velocity.

I recommend using the search function. There have been several recent threads concerning the .357's acceptability. I think you will find that the general agreement is that the .357 is on the low end of the spectrum, but still fine for short-range deer hunting. Your 6" barrel is OK, too.

BTW, welcome to TFL!

If you can plant the round in the boiler room, it's enough gun. It's all up to you. Limit your shots to whatever range you can put one in the lungs. I've taken deer with a .38 Spl., a .357 is more than enough if you do your job.
Y. D.

Absolutely! My dad carried a .357 for years as a backup or close range on Michigan whitetails. My uncle also carries a .357 for a quick followup during muzzleloading season.

Be confident in your marksmanship. Generally stay within 50 yds.

that's what i thought

so what about the velocity that "bleeds" off the bullet as it passes from the cylinder to the barrel? Is this a concern like the Thompson Contender guys say?

270shooter A double lung shot is the most sure way to kill a deer. Almost any gun will work. Like Yankee Doodle said with a 38 special. If a 25ACP would make a double lung shot that would kill a deer. BUT! A lung shot deer will run. I have never seen a lung shot deer run over 70 yards. and it don't leave much of a blood trail. So if you lung shoot a deer sit tight for a few minutes and then go look for the deer.

There is an ongoing debate about weather the .30-30 or the .22LR has killed more deer in North America.

As said in above posts a properly placed bullet from you .357 will drop a deer where it stands, just don't expect a 150 yard hind-quarter shot to be effective. Personally if I'm not certain of a humane kill I won't take the shot.

///I just wish that deer didn't wake up so early in the morning. If they slept in until 10am I'd hunt more.

Most definitely enough for deer. I recommend 158 gr Hornady XTPs, but most any bullet in that weight range will be effective. My dad uses a 6 inch GP100 for deer hunting, quite effectively I might add.

Yep, but I would use proper hunting ammunition, and keep your shots to reasonable distances - 50 yards or whatever range you can very reliably hit vitals - whichever is smaller. I view handgun hunting a lot like bowhunting in terms of ranges.

For hunting ammunition, there are available 180gr bonded-jacketed and hardcast lead hunting bullets for the .357.

.357 on deer..

is acceptable BUT you must do your part.
Start by practising Now, the maximu range is that where you can place all six round CONSISTENTLY on a paper plate, from the standing postion.
Us the heviest bullet you are comfortable shooting with, 158 great, 180 better.
If you don't like the shot don't take it, this is definetely a SKILLS situation.

I had a nice buck climb a very steep gully bank that was about 80 yds. deep. I watched it all the way up, just crossing my fingers it would take the well beaten path as I was 5 yards from that path at the top well hidden behind a huge stump. It stoped right in front of me. I took an aim with a rest and hit it where I thought was the perfect shot. It went down, jumped back up and ran along the ridge, I never saw it again. At best, I had a ham shot after it got up so didn't get off another round. I did find some blood but it was only one tiny spot about 60 yds from where I shot.

After that, I bought a .44 mag. and have 5 deer kills. 5 for 5 and all of them either droped within 6 feet or as far as 10 yards away from where they were shot. One was a neck shot as I was sitting under a tree and a deer walked right up to me on the high side of the tree. If I had a long gun, I would not gotten the shot.
I hunt with the .44 mag Ruger single action 71/2" stainless with Magnaporting, action trigger job, spring kit etc. all from Magnaport Arms. I shoot light hand loads 240 gr. Hornady JHP's. It recoils between the .38 and .357 IMO. Very soft and accurate shooting with my hand loads. It is by far my favorite hunting revolver.

I agree, a .357 should do the job if you get the perfect hit. I didn't get it!

email me and....

...I will send you a photocopy of an old 1954 Sports Afield Hunting Annual article on handgun hunting by Elmer Keith...good reading....get a good fairly close stalk and aim well...357 will be enough...

Back