.357 Cartridges for Hunting?

j-heart

I have a Colt Python .357 4” and was looking for a web site that discussed the pros and cons of different cartridges that can be used for hunting in this caliber. Suggestions?

Transfer this question over to the reloading area, you should get good responses there. Even if you don't handload you can buy ammo close to what they've come up with.

For hunting with a 357, leave the Hollowpoints to Whatever for Weenies and varmints. Use a 180gr lbt style cast out of that 4" and you'll be good to go. Yeah it's been done with the hotrods, but if one has to ask it's best to go heavy bullet or not at all. Just practice with your hunting load and bullet placement will take care of the quarry. I prefer a 6" for the sighting and velocity advantage. It's amazing what a 357 has done and will do.

Short brrl

I also go for the 180s but with your 4" you'll be down quite a bit on speed. The 158JHPs would be OK for thin skinned animals under 125 pounds at 50 yards or less. Have fun and PLACEMENT is always the key. Best....dewey

I was told by a spokesman for Federal that the 158 grain Hydra-Shok is a super deer load. I assume he realizes that ranges should be within 60 yards or so with a .357.

Remington's PR people tell me their 165 grain is a neat deer bullet. I know a guy who likes the 180 grain JHP from a six-inch bbl. I suspect there are several routes to success, but I personally would stay with bullets of at least 140 grains, although a lung hit with 125's has worked for people whose reports I've read.

Lone Star

Handgun hunting: I prefer a heavy, flat nosed, non-hollowpoint bullet for the caliber, i.e.; 180grain in 357, 265 or better in a 44, etc.
(I'm assuming we're talking big game here, not varmit sized stuff.)

Exact loadings depend on what game, in what kind of terrain.

I am pretty sure that Winchester makes a supreme load for .357 that is specifically designed for hunting. Also their silvertip handgun rounds come with a message on the back describing what game they would be useful for.

Back